Multiple Sclerosis Community
Potassium levels ????

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Potassium levels ????

Hi GUys, was wondering if any of you had or have had lot potassium levels?   if so what was done, and do they know how come you had low levels.??  I'm asking abecause my recent ( last week) in hospital, they said I had low levels and they had me on a IV for 2 days out of the six I was on IV with a special potassium one.  I don't know anything else ( as Candaian Dr. seem to be afraid to tell you anything) .... anyways, was wondering what you guys think .

Thanks,
Candy
Candy,

My potassium has run low for years now. Diagnosis Hypokalemia (sp?). Fancy word for low potassium but no help understanding why. I think it's my kidneys but no doctor has figured out why and I stopped pushing the issue. Why borrow more trouble? They keep an eye on it and I take 2 rx pills a day for it.

The potassium iv bag is great but won't last long once you have stopped if you have an ongoing issue. It's kind of a big boost but if something is sucking the potassium out of you or you are not taking in enough your levels will go back down rather quick.

Do you have a follow up soon with the doctor? How about follow up blood work to check your levels? If yes then they will be checking, if not please call the doctor and ask if you should take a potassium supplement and if they will be re-checking your levels.

If you type in high potassium foods on your browser it will bring you up a list of things that you could make sure you have in your diet like bananas, potatoes etc. to help also.

Hugs,
Erin :)
thanks Erin, I have a neuro appt. on Monday, then I am hoping to see my GP soon, my specialist hasn't got back to me yet either, they are supposed to be ordering a colonoscopy and more tests, but nothing seems to move fast ......( no pun intended) ...LOL

take care,
Candy
Hi Candy.  There are a few common causes for low potassium levels.  The electrolyte can be depleted when too much is excreted through either the kidneys or colon.

Any recent bouts of vomiting and/or diarrhea?

Do you take a diuretic (water pill) to help control blood pressure or reduce leg swelling?

Have you been on Prednisone (or another steroid) lately?

There is a type of polyp that causes the colon to leak potassium.  I assume that's why they are looking to do a colonoscopy.

I hope you find the cause soon as it's one of those blood values that needs to remain steady if we are to feel good and keep ourselves functioning well.

Mary
hi to you, to answer some questions you had.... i don't take a diriectic and have never done so, and am not on Prednisone either.  

just gabapentin, zoloft, vitamins and stool stuff (softeners, and metamucicl stuff0 .....NOW ON MODULUM FOR THE SPASMS OF THE BOWEL... SORRY FOR THE BIG TYPE, CAN'T SEE TO WELL TODAY.....

SO, WE WAIT TO SEE WHEN THE GI DR WILL GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH US..... USUALLY IT WILL BE AWHILE.....

I DO HOPE THEY FIND THE TROUBLE THOUGH WITH WHATEVER IT IS THAT IS CAUSING TO MUCH PAIN IN MY LOWER RIGHT ABDOMEN AND THE CAUSE OF THE SEVERE CONSTIPATION THAT PUTS ME IN THE HOSPITAL AND HAVING TO TAKE MORPHINE AND SUCH AND BE IN AND ON IV FOR 7 DAYS.    

IT WAS THE LONGEST I HAVE EVER BEEN IN THE HOPSITAL IN MY LIFE, AND I AM 52 YEARS OLD, AND HAD 2 KIDS TOO.    THIS REALLY *****, AND I AM REALLY FEELING DISCOURAGED BY ALL OF THIS, AS THERE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE A QUICK DIAGNOSIS AGAIN.

NEEDING CHEERING,
THANKS,
CANDY