Multiple Sclerosis Community
Power chair

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Power chair

I just had a medical aid representative come to my house with a selection of power chairs.  I test drove them and decided to buy a Pride 3 Jet Ultra but I can't get it yet as it has to have a modification to make it legal to transport in a maxi taxi.  

I'm hoping to have it the week after next.

I'm just after a bit of comparison here.  This wheelchair is going to cost me $4,000 plus another $300 for the modification.  There is a lot of dissatisfaction where I live at the high cost of living and that sometimes we pay some of the highest prices in the world for some items.

Has any one on this forum got one of these chairs? Do you like it? And (I hope I don't cause offense), how much did it cost?

Even Ikea charge more for their goods in Australia (sometimes 5 times as much) than anywhere else in the world.  Average people are starting to feel ripped off.

Regards

Chirley
I totally understand where your coming from, in truth i dont think the costs we pay in Australia, are going to be comparible to what people in other countries pay. Same as our medical costs for dr's, hospitals etc are not comparible, its chalk and cheese.

If new cost price is a factor, have you considered second hand? You maybe suprised at the huge prise difference, new condition but second hand electric wheelchairs go for $1000-2000 but you can still find them for well under $1000. The other day i saw a pride one go for $250 and to me it looked hardly used, and a couple of months ago one went for only $99 but it needed a new battery.

Have a look at ebay before you spend that kind of money, sometimes you really are getting a good buy.

Cheers.......JJ

PS i'm looking at the same one :o)
The cost of the deluxe customized chairs made in the US can be shockingly high.  A friend just got a new one and the retail price was over $50,000. Hers is a chair that lifts and tilts and does a lot more and was fit to her body size.  Of course with her insurance it didn't cost her as much and her share was just around $1,000.
I picked up my jazzy for $1000 used but its the price of the batteries that are bad!  
I have a friend who needs a $30,000 chair she can't afford. Our State will net allow companies with out storefronts to sell so people can't buy chairs like Redmans here. I get so frustrated advocating for people who can't get chairs. I have three friends who can't get chairs and they totally need them. Also the walk aides. $8,000 - $15,000 (for higher in the leg) Insurance does little or nothing and what if they do not work? Then I have friends who can get the chair but not a vehicle. I could not afford any of it. It is criminal that people's lifestyles are so limited by the lack of these things. Then if you buy a chair like a Redman out of State good luck with parts or repair. People need the correct wheelchair for their needs and to have them fitted properly. My friends live in them, especially the ones who can't transfer. Even seat width and height is important. The person's needs. One friend can't use one hand, one can't transfer, and one had a heck of a time finding a used van.

Alex
It sounds as if my chair isn't that pricey,  ouch, I don't think I would pay $50,000 for a chair.

I was going to they to get a van and use hand controls but the minimum cost was going to be $50,000 (second hand) and then you still have the cost of petrol, insurance, registration and parking and believe me where I live parking is expensive.  It can be up to $45.00 an hour!  After all these costs you still have to battle the traffic and as my OT said, if I expend my energy on driving, the rest of my day is going to be spent resting trying to regroup.

I considered buying a used one but I worried it might not be reliable and it would be horrible to be out in the middle of a shopping centre and have it break down.  This new one comes with a two year warranty and good after sales service.  It's free to register to drive on the road and it has free insurance.  The Automobile Club provide free assistance if it breaks down, they don't fix it but they come and pick you and the wheelchair up and take you home so the wheelchair company can come and do the repairs.

When I have the chair delivered, the salesman is going to do all the seat, speed, height and hand control adjustments to my needs.  This personalization was important to me.

I think summer is on it's way, today it's 27 degrees with blue, blue, blue clear skies and a light breeze.  Perfect!

Regards

Chirley