Multiple Sclerosis Community
Prescription Vitamin D

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Prescription Vitamin D

There have been many posts here on the forum about Vitamin D deficiency.  I am deficient (was at 18, now 27) and my primary doctor wants me to take a prescription Vitamin D supplement (50,000 i.u.) once a week for 12 weeks, in addition to the 2000 i.u. I am currently taking daily.  She said ideally my Vitamin D level should be around 60.

I have searched the internet for info on the prescription - and although I have found info - it appears that the prescription is a different kind of Vitamin D (?) and I saw some info saying that the prescription type isn't beneficial for those with a deficiency.

Just wondering if anybody here has any experience with the prescription?

Thanks!
Chrisy
Haven't tried to find this, but I do have some suggestions. Elaine (Monotreme) posted many threads about supplements, including D. You might want to search this forum for that info. Also Rena discussed this a few months ago.

D3 is what is usually meant by D, although there are other forms. It would be hard to take 50,000 units at once, using the OTC variety, even at 1000 a pop. Researching on the web has its pitfalls because anyone can post anything there. Stick to scientific or government sites with nothing to sell and no anecdotal information.

If you're concerned and confused, why not get back to your PCP with your questions?

I have to say, though, that there's a lot of controversy, or at least discussion, about how much D we need. Within the past year I had my D tested, and it came back as 34. The lab reference values were 15 to 60. Fifteen does seem awfully low, and next time I have my level checked, I'll be interested to see if they've changed this. Meanwhile, I've started taking 1000 units of D a day, in addition to the 400 in my women's multivitamin. My PCP approved this. I think it's strange that 400 is the govt/medical community's recommended daily intake.

Assuming you or I would achieve a level of 60, what would that accomplish? I really don't know. It's way too late to compensate for a childhood possibly low in D, or to prevent MS. There's no evidence that more D or mega D will mitigate against MS, once present. Did your dr. tell you that you'd feel better or that certain symptoms would disappear? If there are any new studies on this I hope someone will let us know.

Meanwhile quite a lot of people are taking the huge doses short term that your dr. recommends for you. I'd like to hear from some of those, and wonder if they really got their D high, and what was diffferent after that.

ess
My last bloodwork came up on the low end for the VitD and I asked my MS neuro about it - he told me not to worry, that springtime was coming soon.  He said he was sure that sunlight would bring my levels up.  

I am taking Caltrate w/D and Multi-vitamin with D and he says thats enough for me.  I find it interesting how every doctor has a different take on what the right number should be.

Lulu
Hi,  I also have a low D.  Vitamin D deficiancy creates, among other things, leg pain.  This is a really big problem for me, and I think since I have bumped my intake up it is helping.  So I think the answer is it will help aleviate symptoms related to a low D level, but won't necessarily affect MS.

Amy
I take prescription Vitamin D 1.25 mg 2 x per week. That is the generic for Drisdol 50,000 units.
I was prescribed vitamin d by my nuero even though my levels were fine in my blood work . Im taking it and it seem s to make no difference but it can't hurt either! Id rather get my d from the sunshine ! Strovite advance D RX .  Spring is here and with that comes the sun  HOOORAY!!!!! Winter is way too long for me.
ess-

I will search the forum for the threads that you mentioned & see if they shed any light for me.  Thanks.

The neuro in AZ told me that he thought that some of my symptoms MIGHT be because of my low Vitamin D.  He said that normal was between 30 to 60.  He was adamant that I begin a daily supplement of 2000 i.u. a day (plus what is in a daily multivitamin which is 400 i.u.) and have my levels checked in one month.  

When I went back to my PCP to have my levels checked - she told me that the current theory says that 50 to 60 is ideal and anything below 31 is deficient - who is right?  I don't know.  I think there will be lots of research & differing theories for a while.  

The neuro in AZ was dismissive of my symptoms - so at this point I am looking to my PCP for guidance. My PCP told me to continue taking the daily supplement & then prescribed the additional Vitamin D.  I may be wrong about the i.u. - but it is 1.25MG which is a lot when Vitamin D is usually measured in micrograms (I think)....

I was surprised that she wanted to prescribe the Vitamin D - and didn't really have questions about it until I picked up the prescription last night & noticed the amount of the Vitamin D that I would be taking - so I went to the internet to see if the prescription was typical & that is when I found the differing opinons about prescription D.

The unfortunate part of this scenario is that this PCP is new to me - She has not seen me for my ongoing of unknown cause symptoms (unless the Vit. D deficiency is the cause) -so for her we are just dealing with a vitamin deficiency...I have to make a seperate appointment to go over my current health issues.

michelleric,

what you are taking twice a week, is what I have just been prescribed for once a week dosing for the next twelve weeks.  How long have you been taking it & have you seen an improvement in your Vit. D levels?  Also, has it helped any of your symptoms?

Chrisy
This is my 1st go around with this dose. I take it also for 12 weeks, then wait 12 weeks and get bloodwork. I started taking it the way you do, didn't improve levels as much as they wanted. I just finished last week the 12 weeks. No, it hasn't helped my symptoms at this time.
Warmly,
Michelle
I have learned so much reading all the posts on this thread. Thanks for bringing the question back to the forum.  

My lab reports show a D3 or D4 at 20.  My neurologist didn't mention a single word about it AND I have such severe lower leg pain that I can't even bare letting anyone touch them like the lady I got to for massages.  They feel bruised.  

I thought about what you all have wrote on taking supplemental Vit D and and want to bring it up with my PCP too.  Do you think getting an Rx is better than OTC Vit D?  

I'm willing to do anything to find a better solution to treating my leg symptoms than taking a drug.  If the Vit D works, HOOORRAAAYY!!!  

Thanks you guys for all the great info.

-Julie
Michelle,
Are you taking a daily supplement as well as the prescription?  Do you know how much your level improved after the first 12 weeks?

Julie,
the general thinking right now is that because of the fear of skin cancer (staying out of the sun & using sunscreen) is making people deficient in D.  I would definitely mention it to your doctor - from what I understand, a daily supplement of 1000 i.u. isn't harmful. (The recommended daily intake should be 400 i.u.)

Will it help your leg symptoms - I don't know but 20 is definitely deficient so you should get that level up.  Again, speak with your doctor (whether it is your neuro or PCP) about an appropriate supplement.  Let us know what your doctor says - I find it so interesting that different doctors have differing opinions about Vitamin D.  As I said earlier, I think that as they do more research - there will be all sorts of theories about what is a "normal" level of Vitamin D.

Chrisy