Multiple Sclerosis Community
QSART Testing? Say WHAT?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

QSART Testing? Say WHAT?

Hi all. Okay, so I decided to not wait any longer. Called the Neuro's office for my test results. MRA is normal (which is what I figured). The SSEP (I had already know was abnormal because I had results sent directly to me via FAX) they told me was NORMAL!  Hmmm.  I said, "No, I don't believe that's correct! I have a copy here that says they are ABnormal."  Hold please!  A few minutes later she comes back on the phone and says she's still waiting, that the Neuro is looking at my chart.  Then I find out it's a different Neuro than I've been seeing ... The lady who answered the phone tells me the Neuro said my SSEP was only SLIGHTLY abnormal, so she wants me to have a QSART test done for my 'chronic pain'.  I asked what that was, but the girl didn't know. Said she'd send me the script along with info on the new doc and the test.  Help me GOOGLE!  Well, Google gave me answers, but I'm at a loss here.  I have SO many other things going on other than pain.  Pain is BAD, but what about all the other stuff?  I actually started to laugh!  I have NO clue what to think ... well, no clue except that I need to see a different neuro.  The one I see obviously isn't in the office much and doesn't take time to look at my results enough to make a note of what he wants to do next. Now I'm left to another neuro on this issue who is leading me WAY off on a different path.  This QSART test picks up something to do with sweating ... finds small fiber neuropathy, which may be part of this, I don't know.  I just could find no reason to think this is my biggest problem here.  

Need some feedback ladies and gents.  Lookin' for some help in figuring out what to do, where to go from here, and anything else you all have to say.  Thanks in advance.

Lori
Tags: test, ms, pains
Hi there, have you had a LP test done yet?  and MRI of you spine?  I would talk personally to the Neuro or see another one if this one isn't interested in finding out what is wrong...

I've never heard of this testing so can't help much there...hopefully someone will give you some info on this.  What specialist does this testing? a Pain specialist?  

have you had your eyes checked out?  with a Neuro opthomologist..??

take care
wobbly
undx
Hi, I'm undx, and haven't heard of this QSART test.  I'm sure Quix or someone knows much more than me about it.

Sounds like you're getting the neuro shuffle, huh?  I know that is frustrating and that you just want a dx so that you can get the treatment you need to get better.

Living in limboland is no fun, but you have all of us here on the forum to keep you company and to help when we can.

Good luck, and if you think this neuro is not doing the correct tests then mention this to him.  If he doesn't want to listen or do the tests you feel you need, then sorry, but yes it's time to find another neuro.

doni
Well, I don't know what to tell you to do, but I did have this QSART test, also known as QSWEAT. On the good side, it's not painful.

It does test for small fiber peripheral neuropathy, which as far as I understand it tends to be painful, often on the bottom of the feet. So it wouldn't show anything about MS, which is a problem with the central nervous system. I'm sorry, I don't remember your story so I'm not sure if this makes sense for you or not.

I was dx'd with idiopathic peripheral neuropathy for six years and finally went to a PN specialist. FWIW he said most people who get that are in their fifties and sixties and have painful small fiber neuropathy.

sho
sho nails it!
Interesting!  My husband told me to have the test done.  That's it'll be one more thing out of the way that we can rule in or out.  I'll have to think about what you all said and go from there.  Thanks for answering!  Much appreciated!

Lori