Multiple Sclerosis Community
Question Two - Solu-medrol injection

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Question Two - Solu-medrol injection

Has anyone had an injection of solu-medrol, not an infusion, but an injection to treat their symptoms?

If so what was your result...good, bad, no difference?  If you improved how long did the effect last?

I am asking this because on Monday I received and injection of solu-medrol.  It was ordered by my GP.  He said if you show improvement it is just one more indication it is MS.

Monday - Wednesday, my gait was improved, the pain and burning in my hips and kness was gone.  I could actually walk without stumbling.  I even had some apprehension when walking because it had been so long since my gait had felt like that.  I felt like I had Chicken legs and they ere flopping about :)  It felt good!  My right hand, which is impaired and is my dominant hand also showed improved functioning.  We are not talking that everything was all better but boy was it improved!

Today the effect is wearing off and the pain and stiffness is returning :(  I can't pick up my pills or turn a page with my right hand and I am no longer walking on chicken legs...I believe this set may be stilts...lol

So what was your experience?  Oh yea, I was told I might not get any result from the injection or the effect could last up to 2 weeks.

terry
bump - ANYONE?
I dont have a dx of ms but have alot of spinal issues, herniations, stenosis and so forth.  I have had 2 epidural injections into the cervcial area.  They inject steriod, my was Kenalog.  I had inflammation and edema, they gave me a steroid which is used to reduce inflammation etc.  So if inflammation is the problem at the time and you recieive steroids than alot of times you will feel relief, reduce inflammation, reduce symptoms.  It doesnt matter that it was my neck for a different reason it was still a steroid and it still reduced the inflammation which in turn reduced the excruciating pain in my neck, scapula area, arms and numbness in my hand. However often times it wears off sometimes sooner that later.

missy
And is by no means a cure.
The disadvantage of an injection, especially if it is really high dose, and any gets into the SQ area is that area can become very atrophic - old, scarred, thin.  All the rest of what is said is correct.  

Sorry the effect wore off so quickly.  I wonder how much they gave you.  The most I have ever heard of being given by injection is 100mg which is 1/10 the amount we get in our infusions.  It takes a HUGE amount to get deep into the central nervous system.

When you report to the doctor be sure to emphasize how MUCH it helped for those days.  I'm surprised that it helped already on Monday.  It typically takes 18 to 24 hours to have a clear anti-inflammatory effect.

Quix
To Missy and Quix

i don't know how I missed your responses but I did.  I only found them a few minutes ago.  Thanks for your answers

The dose I received was 125 mg and I will tell the doctor

And Lu thanks for the bump.

terry