Multiple Sclerosis Community
Question about TN

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Question about TN

Hello, I have some questions about TN.  I am not diagnosed with MS but my neuro is in the wait and see mode as nothing has shown up on MRI.  I seem to be in a relapse part of my pattern of illness.  A new symptom this time around has been jaw pain, right where the joint is by my ears.  It is not severe, but it is noticeable.  Along with that pain is a feeling of pins and needles/cold sensation on my cheeks and my lips are tingling!!  Is this what TN is?  From what I can tell TN is extremely painful.  Mine is more just noticeable and annoying.  

Another question is about ON.  Does ON show up on the MRI if you aren't having symptoms at the time of the MRI?

Thank you
Tags: TN, tingling, Pain in the jaw, cold sensation
Hi and welcome.  Trigeminal neuralgia is often referred to as the suicide disease because the pain is so bad.  I'm guessing that is not what is wrong with you.  

Damage to the optic nerve from demyelination will be visible on MRI but can also heal and no longer be seen by the imaging. I'm sorry you are being checked for MS - I hope it is something less chronic
be well,
Laura
I concur with Laura, I can only describe TN as pure agony, it takes over completely, when it hits you really know about it but when it goes you can experience tingling and numbness.  

ON is often better detected through visual tests (OCT, EVP) conducted by an opthalmologist or better yet a neuro-opthalmologist, if you are having visual sx's, i'd suggest getting your eyes assessed.

Cheers.......JJ