Multiple Sclerosis Community
Question about vision and light

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Question about vision and light

Have any of you ever had difficulty with light, like an eye hurting even with the light of a computer screen?  I have had blurry vision of varying degrees over the past several months, but I started this weekend with great difficulty even looking at my computer screen.  My right eye hurts to look at the tv etc.  Have any of you experienced this?

Thank you,

Tags: vision, light
Sensitivity to light is a yellow flag. An investigation by a competent physician is necessary. That can be a problem. I think at last count there were at least seven of them in the United States, two in the United Kingdom and one in Somalia.

That being said...that means as of "Now". This is not something to have evaluated three months from now.

Remember the guys on the radar at Pearl Harbor on the morning of December 7th, 1942, who did nothing when they noticed the incoming aircraft?

Among other things light sensitivity goes hand-and-foot with a slow intracerebral bleed.
Light sensitive will show up months before an actual "stroke".

There are other possibilities, including reactions to medications.

Generally two kinds of evaluation are used. And MRI and an MRA, which uses a dye that shows up blood leakage.

My vote is for you to head for a teaching hospital, with a neurology department, where you will get the benefit of several "heads" looking at your problem.

Kidding aside, teaching hospitals are the place to go.
I have trouble with lights frequently - especially flourescent ones.  There are times I can't be on the computer, the TV hurts my eyes (and people's facial features disappear in flashes), and I certainly can't read because I need the light off.  

At those times I'm hoping I have the strength to do some manual task around the house, I listen to an audio tape, or I just go to bed and count on it being better by morning.

Good vision is the thing I miss most (at this particular moment anyway!).

Mary
Yes, sounds familiar, I have had that on and off since about Feb this year. When it happened I always found that one of my pupils was larger than the other. It still happens sometimes now, but seems to be only very rarely now. I found it helped lying down (if the situation allows of course) with my eyes covered with a dark scarf and having a nap.

Hope it will get better for you soon!

Rike

Thanks for the info.  I have an appointment with my spine specialist on Tuesday, he is a good doc.  Hopefully he will give me a referral to the University of Michigan Ann Arbor.  I think that is where I need to be at this point.  They have a huge neuro progam.

we will see what happens---no pun intended

One can hope I guess.

I have notable light sensitivity, getting worse every year, the opomitrist has noted the change but could never catch the other sight changes i've been complaining about over the years. The blurred and double (i suspect its not quite double more one and a half) vision has always gone away, stayed for a few weeks, then months now its been over a year.

I wear sunnies all the time, sunny or not doesnt matter or i end up with eye pain. The last time i got it checked out all the optomitrist said was "gee your light sensitivity is really bad, why dont you get lots of different strength sun glasses, use the milder kind or coloured lenses when your inside." the why never came up lol.

Its just one more thing on my to do list. Glad you have a good doc, i'm thinking of visiting somalia.lol

Cheers..........JJ

I have light sensitivity at times, not continuous, but I will have it for a few weeks at a time.  Some mornings I can't open my eyes all the way because the light hurst one or both eyes.  

I also have double/blurry vision, usually at these times.  Hope you find answers, I would love some too
take care
wobbly
dx