Questionable MS
Hi All!
This is my first visit here and I've gotten a lot of info from all of your posts!  What brings me here are alarming symptoms.  I've been dealing with right sided weakness for 5 months.  When I saw the neurologist, he initially thought the herniated disc in my neck was the cause of my arm weakness.  He wasn't sure about my leg weakness so he ordered an EMG.  The EMG showed a problem in my lumbar spine AND cervical spine.  Repeat MRI's showed the herniations not bad enough to cause the weakness.  There were no lesions of my MRI's, except in the brain there was increased signal thought to be some type of inflammation.  Another spot is new but unknown as to what it is.

Two weeks ago I awoke from a nap paralyzed and unable to move my limbs.  Luckily my hubby came one in 20 min. and he was able to reposition my limbs, and I regained feeling, but little strength.  I couldn't feed, bath, dress myself since and have been stuck in bed.  My LP so far is negative, but we are waiting on O band results.  I have regained strength in the last few days and am almost back to whee I was before this attack, except I did have leg paralysis this morning.  But the strength came back after repositioning,

Historically I've had double & blurry vision.  (The last few months its much worse).  Balance issues, saying the wrong words or not able to think of the word I was trying to say.  I need a few hrs of sleep during the day due to the fatigue for many months.  When I take showers, they need to be at night because they completely exhaust me.  Standing those 10-15 minutes is too much and I need to lie down right away, too.

Does anyone experience here episodes of paralysis/weakness?  I'm glad it only lasted about 3 weeks, but I'd love a diagnosis so we can treat it.  It seems odd that there is no explanation for an abnormal EMG and all symptoms seem to point to MS.  Thanks for any thoughts or comments you may have!
Kelley
you should see your dr and keep a list of all these symptoms.  I get bouts of weakness very often.. I'm dx with SPMS.  Sometimes it's hard to find answers to symptoms because there are so many different diseases.

take care
wobbly
Hi Keldal (and everyone else),

I've had a lot of the same symptoms that you wrote about on and off over the years and after spending several months for each of two years, the labs found only a few erratic issues (brisk knee reflexes with clonus, "worrying" optic disc abnormalities), and they concluded that that was good news and said I'm anxious and should try to relax.  I've learned to live with the vision issues and occasional foot pain--and, for the record, I've been seeing a psychiatrist for two years now for depression and anxiety.  

But I'm back here right now because my left foot/lower leg just went "dead" as it had done a lot a few years ago and I twisted my ankle because of it--it's not foot pain, just a total numbness and inability to lift the foot or step correctly.  Since I've been sitting, I'm here investigating whether it could just be as simple as sciatic nerve compression, which a couple of people have suggested.

In any case, I'm just commenting here to let you know that you're not the only person who has ended up on this site because of similar issues.  If you continue to investigate with neurologists, don't be surprised if "anxiety" comes up as a root cause.  

It also seems worth noting that while I was being tested, the doctors told me that the EMG was used in MS testing to rule out other causes such as ALS or carpal/tarsal tunnel syndrome, and not to positively identify MS.  EMGs detect radial nerve damage, and MS is a central nervous system disorder--so a person with MS wouldn't necessarily have an abnormal EMG (that's my understanding, anyway).  That was the first test I was given after the MRIs and the doctor told me to be thankful that the EMG was normal because, even if it were to turn out that I have MS, at least I don't have ALS, which is far worse.
Hey there... I inboxed you my responce for it was so long and answered what you wanted with the syotoms and experiences and thus for and making it too long for a forum, for others can have more space to help you out. But did answer/ in inbox\. sincerely Zoe
Hi Kelly, from my understanding an 'abnormal' EMG is pointing to the issue being a peripheral nervous system issue, where as a 'normal' EMG is more typical if causation is with the central nervous system, which is what MS is. Its still possible to have both peripheral and central issues, though it wouldn't be very common, but it can still happen.

MS has many mimics and the sx's can be so similar to MS, that it can be very hard to work out what's going on. I would suggest checking out conditions that are connected to abnormal EMG results, to see if anything seems like an alternative possible but it might be more important to find out exactly where those brain lesions of yours are!

Cheers.........JJ