Multiple Sclerosis Community
Quinkidink or somehow related??? Help!!

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Quinkidink or somehow related??? Help!!

Hey everyone again :),
   Well I was thinking last night about the onsets of my symptoms and realized something.  
  When my first symptoms first began in May it was very shortly after I began tanning in the tanning beds. Didn't really think anything of it then.  Kept tanning until end of June with ongoing symptoms.  I went to Colorado for about a month with no tanning.  My symptoms persisted but got a bit better.  For pretty much the past month or so I was symptoms free and felt great  (no tanning).  But I started tanning again a couple of days ago (am in a wedding in a week and didn't want to look like a marshmallow in my dress).  Within about 2 days of tanning my symptoms started again!  Could this just be some weird coincidence or could it really be related to the cause of my symptoms.  If so I'm not sure how.  But it is kinda weird.  
   Today my arms/hands are still hurting and the bottoms of feet are bothering me again.  Last night, the first time in about 2 months my arms kept falling asleep/going numb throughout the entire night.  
  Am I going crazy or what???!!!   This is definately an emotional rollercoaster!  Just when I get my hopes up that everything is ok, it comes back to haunt me!!
  THanks,
  Karey
That is weird.  I don't know if it has anything to do with your symptoms or not but I think I would quit tanning for sure.  If I got in that tanning bed and then I started having symptoms like you are that stop when I stop tanning, I would not be tanning.  I know I'm not making sense today but my head feels like it's in a daze or something.  Nothing is coming out right.

I think I would ask Quix on this one but DON"T TAN in the meantime.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Yes, I will stop tanning now that I've noticed relation.  Very very strange.  
  Does anyone else have pain as their main symptom?  This pain in my arms/hands is driving me insane.    No numbness except for when I sleep at night.  
Are you tanning in a reg tanning bed with the bulbs? or spray tanning?  IF you are tanning in a bed.. I bet the heat from it is causing your symptoms to flare....since heat affects MS...........just my thought....
Take Care
Roxanne
Yes it is a regular bed.   But I haven't been sensitive to other sources of heat.    Such as the hot shower, working out, and weather doesn't seem to have an effect.  Could I just be sensitive to this source of heat??   As the day has progressed I'm beginning to experience some of my other past symptoms:  my eyes and ears are aching, cold numb patches on face, and feeling disconnected.  I am so scared right now.  I have a follow up appt with my neuro on Monday.  But he doesn't think it is neurological which by now I have a hard time believing.  I'll be sure to mention this to him though.
I'm curious on your input on this?  Thanks!
I'm sorry you are going thru this.. it must be scary.  Be sure and write it all down before seeing the doctor so you won't forget some things.  I would say, but then again I don't know much :) ,  that it could be that kindof heat in the tanning bed...The heat doesnt ALWAYS bother me... but it does at times...     I'm sorry I'm not helping you much...hope things work out for you and u get answers from the doctor...
Take care
Roxanne
Hi, Karey, I, too think it has to do with the heat produced in the bed.  As a physician I am absolutely against the practice of tanning, but that's a different story.  No matter what they promise, it does age the skin and I can't believe there is any real benefit, though it is probably safer than the same amount of time spent in the sun.  I also continue to feel that you should have your anxiety treated, if you aren't.  Be sure to let us know what happens tomorrow.  And there is no one who could go with you to this appointment?

About mentioning the tanning bed as seeming to bring on your symptoms...I fear he will write you off immediately if you say that.  Better to say if you become too warm you notice the symptoms, and then include the time spent tanning.  But, he is likely to answer with, "Then stop doing it."

Keep us posted.  Quix