Multiple Sclerosis Community
Quix or anyone with medical knowledge

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Quix or anyone with medical knowledge

I got my diagnosis from my dr, so the MS Society can help me get a new apt. I was reading it and had a question about something she put on it. What does lesion on the right VI nerve mean??? Would appreciate any info.   Karina
The R VI nerve refers to the Right 6th Cranial nerve.  This nerve is responsible for moving the eye on that side to the outside (toward the ear).  If it is damaged one would have double vision on looking to the right.  Has this happened to you?  Quix
So is she talking about when I had double vision for 3 months in my left eye?? I had it looking left, right, or straight.      Karina
Yes, you don't always perceive the bouble vision in the eye with the problem.  Often it's in the good eye.  See if I can explain it .  Say you are looking at a tree.  The brain "knows" what you are trying to look at, it recognizes a tree.  The good eye looks at the tree, but the eye with the weak (6th nerve) muscle can't get it to line up right on the tree.  It's looking over at the fire hydrantnext to the tree.  The brain tries to ignore the eye that is sending a view (image) of something other than a tree.  It can't quite and you see two images = double vision.  

Probably garbled, but that's the gist of it.  Quix
Thanks for clarifying that for me. It's nice to have someone with medical knowledge to give us advice and help. Karina
One more question. If it's on my right eye, why did I have double vision in left eye??  Karina
I tried to say it.  The brain tends to "pay attention" to the good eye, so that is where you seems to hae the double vision. Q
Sorry about that. Karina
Is there treatment 4 that cond. Sounds like what I'm dealing with.....I fear going cross eye permanantely......
I had double vision from July last year until December, but it did go away. Do you have MS or do you not know what's causing the double vision? My first doctor thought I had myasthenia gravis, but then I started to develop other symptoms that led them towards MS. I think whether or not it goes away depends partly on what is causing it.