Multiple Sclerosis Community
Quix...I need ya again girl...pleeeaaaassseee???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

I have been suffering from attacks of the cold sweats for about the last two weeks.  I could just be here on the computer doing nothing much when I break out in a sweat and yet my skin is ice cold!  It reminds me of an incident I had last July 1st when it was over 100 degrees outside and I was sweating profusely and yet my skin was ice cold and at that time Quix was probably right with her diagnosis of heat stroke.  However, I am far from any tropical temps here in Alberta at the moment and I am wondering if this is common in MS patients or if anyone might know if this could have anything to do with my heart?  I am still feeling weak and tired from the steroids and the pain in my head still hasn't gone away so I wonder what I went through that for?  These cold sweats are something I have never had a problem with other than last July so this has me worried...any ideas???

Lots of Hugs,
Rena
This happens to me every time I take steroids....
when it first happened it was pretty scary to me.... now when it happens I just have to get cooled off quickly... for me it almost feels like a hot flash.
april
I would guess the steroids would have something to do with it, but quite a few meds can have the same kind of effect.  I'd sure look further if it keeps up.
It wouldn't be the steroids cause this has been going on for at least 2 weeks and I only did the steroids 8 days ago...it is scary though and I don't much like it!  It's not at all like a hot flash would be though because I am ice cold to touch and I don't flush like I would with a hotflash...I have red hair :)
I have been having strange things going on with my heart and it hasn't been looked at yet so that concerns me too.  I will keep looking into this but it seems a pain and waste of time seeing a dr. about it with my track record:)

Lots of Hugs,
Rena
So this was happening before the steroids.  I was going to vote for them, because I have the same reaction to them.  Flushing and a headache.

Well, Sweating and flushing and a low and weird heart rate make me think of an autonomic dysfunction.  the ANS or the Autonomic Nervous System handles a lot of the functions of the body that are not sensory or motor.  It plays a role in the heart rate, blood pressure, blood flow to different organs including the skin, motility of the bowels, sweating, nausea,  fainting, etc.

I guess I would bew wondering about a dysautonomia.

There is a new forum here on dysautonomic dysfunction.  this can be seen uncommonly in MS.  You might go bounce all this off of them  then tell us what they say.

Quix
I get sweats night ones when i sleep have to change up to 4 times a night. i also sweat like chills during the day i'll be hot and sweat but skin cold i'll be cold and shaking and sweat odd!!

think mine must be drug related prob my fentanal patches.

hope yours passes had mine for a year now getting worse these last 4 mths.

sam
Welllllll....I had a vicious attack of ice pick pain last night after the cold sweat issue and I had to take an Oxycontin...of course it didn't help rid the pain, just made me feel floaty again.  I am feeling like **** today and the pain in the head is starting again so I am going to just take it easy today.  I have made an appointment for Feb. 19th to see the lying gp...just to let her know that I am having these cold sweats and that I am concerned about them.  I know she will probably just say it's hormonal or something although I KNOW it's not...she tested my blood for my hormone level and it must have been fine right?  I mean I never heard from her as to whether or not it was normal so it must be normal right?  hehe

Like I said before...there is NO flushing because I am cold...I am sweating profusely, I am feeling really crappy and it is not like anything I have ever had before.  I have night sweats occasionally but usually due to nightmares and it's one night in a blue moon.  

So...I guess I will just go with the flow and I will mention this dysautonomia to my lying gp and see if she knows what it is...he he...I have my doubts but I would like to have my heart checked just to make sure it is ok.  

Thanks for the swift reply Quix...as always I really appreciate it!

Lots of hugs,
Rena
Watch Season 2, Episode 3, Grey's Anatomy.