Multiple Sclerosis Community
Rash?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Rash?

I have forgot to mention, during each "flare"  I get an extremely itchy rash just below my belly button.  It's not a permanent thing.. it comes and goes throughout each episode.  But when I was symptom free there for a couple weeks the rash was gone.  Weird?  What do you think this is?  
  Thanks,
   karey
Never heard of a dermatological symptom related to MS.  Likely related to a change in behaviour or clothing you where during the flare, maybe a medicine?
Jon
Hi, Jon is right.  Nothing in MS is related to dermatology changes and skin rashes.  However, The itchy rash right below the navel is often a reaction to the nickel in the snap or button of jeans.  Honestly!  I saw it all the time.  See if there is a pair of pants you wear when your are most uncomfortable during a flare of your symptoms and see if there is a metal that matches where the rash is.  You can cover the metal with several coats of clear nail polish or place something between it and your skin.  Just a thought.  Not all the things that happen to us end up being neurological.

Hope this helps, quix
Thats funny!!  Well I bet you are right!!  I'm really glad I didn't bring that up with the neuro the other day!  He really would've blown me off!!! haha!!  Yeah I guess it is where my pants usually come.  I'll have to check it out!
  Thanks!
   Karey
I have MS-like symptoms, but undiagnosed and have a rash on the same side of my body as the main MS numbness etc.  I'm going to try dropping all unusual foods, but in the meantime I'd like to investigate the link between MS and "stress" and this itch.  I have a feeling there's a closer link between MS and "stress" (or negativity or something of the sort,) than just being emotionally affected by having the condition.  
I thought i was reading about myself. I get the same itchy rash just below my belly button when i am having a flare up.
I was going to ask the doc about it as i am now thinking i may have lymes disease or some other illness.
HELLO,
I WANTED TO ADD MY TWO CENTS.  I HAVE HAD A PHYISCAL ALLERgY CALLED CHORLINERIC URTICARIA THAT STARTED IN 1966, AT THE AGE OF 18.  IT TOOK ME YEARS TO
FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS.  IT IS CAUSED BY EMOTIONS,EXERTION.
OR HEAT.  IT IS ALSO AUTO IMMUNE DISEASE. THE RASH CAN BE TREATED WITH AN ANTI-HISTAMINE.  I PREFER ZERTEC.  I WAS SUPPOSED TO OUTGROW IT BUT NOW AT 61, I STILL GET IT WHEN I AM OVERHEATED OR DO TOO  MUCH.

I WAS DX'ED WITH MS IN 1986.   PLEASE FORGIVE SPELLING.
HOPE THIS HELPS
LINDA
I can say for sure that when my arm went numb, (first noticable symptoms of MS back in Dec 08) I had the most painful itching burning area on my neck, chest and shoulder area on the numb side.  I would develop white bumps I thought from scratching but my PT (being treated for pinched nerve and Thoracic Outlet Syndrome at the time) said I have a bad rash.  When I explained that I had severe itching that I thought caused the bumps she said...STOP Scratching IT!  Well Duh.  
It didn't matter if I scratched there was no relief.  I could not even get air on the area without crawling up the wall.
I of course have no explination of why this all happened at once.  
I am under a HUGE amount of stress due to a previous work injury being denied and at that time it was almost Christmas so my stress was really high then.
I was dx'd with MS Officially yesterday (known about spinal lesions for a couple weeks now.

I would really like to look more into this whole stress and MS thing for sure.  I am sure I have had MS for a long time before this relapse, but could the stress have caused this flare up to be so much worse than before?
Is the rash stress related, or is the inflamation (inflammation) from our attacks creating it?

I am new to all of this..where is the best place to find out more?

D
I get large, welt-like spots, very itchy, but i do think its a reaction to one of my meds.  

just my 2-cents, meg
Hi TrueLove47!

Welcome to the MS forum!  

The post you responded to was an old one, but it's ok! At least we know you are here with us.

I'm Shelly, and I was dx'd with MS in 07, so I'm still a rookie, but have learned so very much.

Hope you stick around with us and let us know how you are doing w/your MS.  As you can see some of us are dx'd, some of us should be, and some of us just don't know what we are dealing with - but we all learn and support each other together.

See you around soon!
-Shell
I hear all the time that skin and MS have nothing to do with each other but I don’t believe that personally.  I have horrible itching at times which is a documented symptom of MS. Its not widely publicized but I have read some med school articles on the matter.  One of them is called “PRURITIS AS A PRESENTING SYMPTOM OF MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS EXACERBATION” (sorry about the all caps, I copied and pasted it)

In terms of the rashes, I’m still on the fence.  I think I scratched myself into rashes from the itching.  I wish there was a solution, but since the itching comes from within, there is not much that can be done about it.  
By the way, when I asked my Nuro about the itching, he laughed at me (well not literally).  When I found the article by doctors at Missouri.edu, I forwarded him the PDF via email and he immediately called me and thanked me for sending that to him - he had no idea!
I have MS ..and at first they thought it was Lupus...because of the rash.. It seemed my symptoms started around the time I got shingles. Not sure if there is a connection. I still get the itchy rashes when I get too hot.
you may not have noticed that this is a very old thread and most people are not going to take the time to read your reply on the bottom.  Lupus is one of the MS mimics, as you most probably already know.  I'm glad they got your dx correct.

You might consider starting this as a new conversation, I'm sure there are  several people who would be interested in reading your story.

best, L
I am not sure who to write this to.  For the last 2 months I have experienced crazy things.  I am being tested this Wednesday for MS or other disease with a Myelogram and Spinal Tap.  I am scared.  I have had the numbness, the terrible headaches, the confusion, virtigo, and now a rash or hives.  Looks like welts with little blisters on my legs and arms.  I am so frightened.  I thought all this is just in my mind.  I'll laugh, then I'll cry.  I even think I am imagining all these symptoms.  It appears by this discussion forum, that I could be sane after all.  but, that's doesn't help my fear any.
Actually guys there is a relation between MS and Skin issues. To be truly correct in my understanding Skin issues such as heat rash or itching is associated with Autoimmune problems. When a person has MS it is also common to see other Autoimmune disorders present.

I have a severe heat intolerance to where I cannot exercise, eat hot food or liquids or take hot showers.

Advice for what has worked for me. I did take zyrtec 10mg and this controlled my skin related issues for about 2 yrs but when I had my first MS flare this did not work anymore.

I know that antihistamines of various kinds (try some until you find one that works ( you should see results in two weeks if their is any benefit).

Good luck with the rash I know it can be a hard symptom to deal with.
Can you forward me what you have about the rash associated with MS? I've had this problem since around 2006 with many others pointing directly to this. No surprise to me at all. Now at least I know why I've been so sick on and off for 30 years. First dx was "epilepsy" but have only had 2 my entire life.
I know what you mean about laughing and crying out of the blue, and I also have thought that I must be crazy, but because I have a complete heart block and a pacer, the neurologist do not want me as there pt. All test  almost 2 yrs ago were neg. I cannot have an MRI, because of the pacer and I believe I have PPMS, because I am 53 and the symptoms do not subside, I always have one or three to contend with.I have a rash on both my arms that itch at times, I try not to scratch, the rash is very fine and really dont show unless you run your hand over the site. The Neuros dont care much about unless something shows up, so be prepared for a long wait, Ive waited 2 yrs now with no job or money, thank god for my brother, he lets me stay at his house, I have very bad fatique and I become winded easily most of the time when having to walk, and there are times I can walk on treadmill for a 1/2 mile non stop, so go figure. its the craziest desease Ive ever had to experience and my itching will last for hrs at a time non stop and that is enough to drive someone to drink. Good Luck to you Baby Girl and I pray that the lord gives you the strength to carry on, like he has me even when sometimes its hard.
Hi Lbay -

Welcome to oour group. This is a pretty old thread. It was last updated over a year ago. Many of the participants no longer visit. I just didn't want you to think you were being ignored :-)

Kyle