Multiple Sclerosis Community
Rebif and alcohol

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Rebif and alcohol

I am aware of the potential that Rebif has for liver damage, and that Serono recommends abstaining from alcohol while taking this drug.  Seeing as how Rebif is a long-term, potentially lifelong commitment, technically that means, no more cocktails.  

I was never a heavy drinker.  I really enjoy the occasional glass of red wine or cognac. Maybe one glass, a couple of times per week on average.  Never more than that, and often many weeks go by when I have no alcohol at all.

Once I start Rebif I will of course do regular blood work to ensure the drug is not damaging my liver.  I planned to completely abstain for the first few months, till I know how I am tolerating the drug alone.  Then, if all looks good, maybe have an occasional drink if my doctor does not have any violent objections.

In the meantime, I was wondering whether any of you on Rebif (or any of the other drugs for that matter) made the decision to cut out alcohol completely, or do you still have the occasional drink?

If I have to give it up, so be it; obviously maintaining good health has to be priority number one.  But if the occasional social drink is tolerable, it would be nice to still indulge every now and then.

db1
You raise an interesting question and I hope others here will give their opinions and experiences. For myself, if I get to the point of being prescribed a disease modifier I will have to read up on this very carefully. From just casually looking into it, I think that most of the drugs warn about liver involvement and the need for periodic testing. I'm not sure, but I think Copaxone is the exception to this.

My liver enzymes at times run just a bit high, so I try to be careful on general principles. But I too enjoy wine from time to time and would like to continue if there are no health implications. After all, I have no other vices left!

ess
Hi again db1!  Me again...just wanted to make a short comment.  I used to be a fairly heavy drinker...up until I had a hysterectomy and don't ask me why but after that the only thing that I could drink was Kahlua and Milk.

I have since had my gall bladder out and since I started on the Neurontin I have chosen not to drink at all!

I also quit smoking in July of 2007 and basically I replaced that awful habit with drinking coffee and to be honest with you I don't really miss the drinking or the smoking (well maybe once in a while but all I need is a whiff of smoke and I change my mind!)

However, I was home on Saturday evening past by myself and I thought, gee, it's Saturday night and I'm not even having a drink...I think I will try one for the he** of it...OOPS!  Did I ever feel horrible after...well I didn't even finish it and I don't think I will try it again!

So as long as I have a coffee maker, coffee pot, Tim Horton's beside me I should be ok!  I had a couple of sips of champagne on New Year's but it didn't bother me but then it was only a couple of sips...

In all honesty, I do think that the amount you are talking about is minor but I think the best bet is to ask your neurologist.  I think that because we only have one liver, you would be best to ask the expert and really, there are lots of enjoyable non-alcohol drinks out there as well...

Rena705
REBIF AND ALCOHOL CAN MAKE ONE LETS SAY A CHEAP DATE.

THE REBIF INTENSIFIES THE ALCOHOL CONTENT AS IN ONE DRINK CAN = THREE IN A PERSON.ESPECIALLY WHEN AN INJECTION AND ALCOHOL ARE COMBINED IN A 24 HOUR TIME PERIOD.

ITS ALWAYS BEST TO NEVER MIX ALCOHOL AND MEDS.FIRST TALK TO YOUR DR.

I MUST ADMIT THAT I LIKE THE OCCASIONAL TANGERAY AND GIN.

T-LYNN