Relapse or summer heat???
How do I know if I'm having a relapse or the heat is messing w my MS??

My legs will get tired much faster

My rgt starts feeling funny, like when I am texting on my phone.  Feels like it is getting weak

My back hurt in the middle of my spine, like it was bruised.  But their was no bruise at all.  When I had my arm     twisted around trying to point out where it was hurting, it felt numb in one little spot in the middle of my spine.

I was just dx 3 months ago.  That was the first flare up that I was able to feel.  That's haw I found out I had this MS.  So I haven't had an official relapse yet, and I have been on Rebif for 3 weeks.  I'm just a little scared that it won't work, and wonder how long my Dx will stay at RRMS.  Will it stay like this or get worse?  This is new for me so I think about this stuff all the time.  Thanks to everyone that is here for all of us who have questions and don't know where to go from this point on...

Huggies,
Kelli
bump
If the new symptoms last longer than 24 hours you might be in a relapse and need to contact your doctor.

If the symptoms subside for you then it is probably just the heat (pseudo-exacerbation).  Eventually you will come to recognize the difference.

Where do you go from here?  Forward!!!  

Lu
Kel, here's how most of us distinguish between heat intolerance and a real flare. If you get out of the heat and into AC, and your symptoms improve notably within an hour or so (or whatever time, this varies), then you've been suffering from heat intolerance due to MS.

If your symptoms don't improve regardless of temperature, and they last at least 24 hours, with some docs saying 48 hours, then you're likely in a flare. Most of us wait a few days to be sure, then call the neuro if things are bad. If not so bad, be sure to write down what is happening so you can report it next neuro visit.

No one can predict how long a flare will last. Mine have been mild but have lasted many months. Yours will be different. Don't worry about Rebif now--it hasn't had time to work. Try to relax as much as you can. Not easy, I know, but hang in there.

ess
Awww, Kelli, I am sorry this is a bit overwhelming isn't it?  Lulu and Ess are right, sx need to flare at least 24 hrs before it's called a flare or relapse or whatever...  The heat is soooo bad in TX, what are we up to now over 17 days over 100 degrees?

I heard even the deer are dying from dehydration and goodness knows everything seems "fried" outside.  Stay out of the heat and take extra care of yourself.  You have spinal lesions?  From your description, I had the same sx. That sometimes can happen to me when I am overly tired or just do way too much. The heat is the worst for my spine as that is where I feel it first, almost exactly as you describe.

You cannot let you mind go into the uncertainty of the disease. Worry won't help, you need to remain positive and just see this as a small blip in your journey.  As Lulu said, keep moving forward.

Julie

thanks you guys!  I freak out on anything now days.  I need to just take it a day at a time I guess.  :)

Heart you guys!!
Kel