Multiple Sclerosis Community
Remembering how to return to the gym....

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Well, I finally did it, went to my water aerobics class this morning; some of you may have already heard this.  Shermay's bike ride encouraged me to stop thinking about it, and get myself to the gym.

First, I had to get my gym bag ready; swim suit, rash-guard shirt (keep shoulders warm), towel, shampoo, body wash, aqua shoes, and the lock for my locker.

Trouble was, I couldn't remember the combination for the lock that I'd used for about 5 years...  I spent a lot of time last night trying different combinations, to no avail.  I had to leave early this morning and buy myself some new locks, and I still had a little trouble, transposing the first and last numbers when I got out of the pool, but I finally got in my locker.

I got there early and talked to the instructor about having been away and needing to go slowly, and the possibility that I may have to leave early.  She was understanding and supportive.  Turns out she was a real go- getter of an instructor, encouraging people to do their best, giving "gold stars" to those she thought were working at their potential.

I even got a gold star, when she saw how I was adapting my movements to work-out without hurting or wearing myself out!

It was so fun!  I loved it, and it was great to see people that I'd been away from for almost 2 years.  They were happy to see me, one even said she had just been thinking about me and wondered how I was doing.

I did have to leave 45 minutes into the 1 hour class, as my right leg and foot started burning and I was getting more dizzy.  I've started doing my vestibular rehab exercises already.  This afternoon I was very tired and a little foggy in the brain, but it was so good to get moving again, in more than just walking and doing housework kind of ways.

I feel great, and plan on going to water aerobics again soon.  

Thanks, Shermay!

Kathy
Ok.  Now I am inspired to get some regular exercise going.  It hasn't been on the top of my list the last few years.  Thanks for the post, Charley
Go Girl! I am going for a walk today.

Alex
Excellent!  Shermay started a lets-get-moving movement, lol!  It does feel like I'm taking part of myself back, the "strong woman" part.  Slowly, but it feels great.

I'm already planning on going to the Friday class.  My roommate said she'll go to some classes, too; maybe I can get her to the Sunday class.  Sunday's insructor is funny and was one of my favorites; it would be great to see her again, as well as to have fun in her class.

Kathy

You and Shermay have both inspired me also! I'm not out of this relapse enough to start any serious exercise but I have started using one of those DS "Walk With Me" gizmos, it envourages me to try taking at least a few steps extra each day.

Thank you both.
Mand
"the longest journey begins with a single step".  

Taking a few more each day will surely get us somewhere!  

I have a DS; I'll have to look into a "Walk With Me".  My last pedometor died, and I know I"m not walking as much as I did when I was recording my daily steps.  Hmmm.  Sounds like it could be fun....

Kathy

Good for you, Kathy, for getting back into the pool!  You're inspiring!

I've practiced Yoga since I was 12, (I'm 51, now) and I'm totally in love with road biking.  I try to get in 2 Yoga sessions a week, along with 2 bike rides.  There are some weeks due to symptoms, etc., that I don't get in all I want.  If today is a bad day, maybe tomorrow will be better.  

I'm so grateful for all Yoga has taught me in stretching various muscle groups, etc., and I have a great teacher who varies the class.  One day it will be hips; another day, shoulders; another day, back strengthening; another day, balance poses; and on and on.  The balance poses I totally $uck at, but I try them, anyway.  I'm a firm believer in props, and if I'm having a bad balance day, I use the wall.  

If I didn't know all I've learned over the years, I think my spasticity issues would be worse - but with MS who knows?  

Enjoy our movement - of any kind!  I think its good for us all in the long run (yes, pun intended!).

Cheers,
Guitar_grrrl
Yeah you go for it girl, I'm right behind you.

We have to move forwards to the people we want to be and that is to NEVER GIVE UP!!

We are Women, we are strong,

Hugs,

Debs xxxxxxxxxx

Gosh, this is inspiring!

I tried yoga last year but had to give up because my balance was *terrible*! It didn't help that the other members of the class were half my age and could all twist themselves into pretzels.

I belonged to Curves and went frequently for 4 years, but then I didn't go all this summer because I was so fatigued and in pain. I even stopped going to my pilates class, but I hope to go back before long.

But where there's life there's hope. I recently bought myself a Wii console and the Wii Fit Plus package. Expensive, but I can do it at home and when I feel like it. Have only done a bit thus far but it's fun and interesting.

ess
Fantastic!!!!!