Multiple Sclerosis Community
Researchers investigating lisinopril to treat MS
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Researchers investigating lisinopril to treat MS

It’s still a long way away … they’re only now designing the phase II trial for a drug already approved and commonly used as a blood pressure medication. In fact, the company doing the trial seems more excited about its supposedly streamlined trial process than the drug itself:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/transparency-life-sciences-obtains-exclusive-option-from-stanford-university-for-use-of-lisinopril-in-multiple-sclerosis-2012-03-05#

I didn’t care for some alarmist language in the news release: “This (deterioration of myelin) causes nerves to malfunction and can lead to paralysis, blindness and early death.” I wouldn’t normally link to stuff like that, but the connection to Stanford University gives it some legitimacy for me

As with any other MS drug, there is no free ride. Lisinopril and other blood pressure drugs (ACE inhibitors) can cause angiodema, according to this article today:

http://www.buffalonews.com/life/health-parenting/peoples-pharmacy/article750120.ece