Multiple Sclerosis Community
Restless Leg Syndrome?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Restless Leg Syndrome?

Hi everyone! I've been laying low for a few days having a hard time thinking about all of this stuff. I've been feeling pretty good for the most part, except for one day having a low grade fever, chills, and feeling like crap and then feeling fine a few hours later with no other symptoms.

A few months ago, I went through this spell where my left leg would feel strange - I don't know how to explain the feeling, except that its as if I'm purposefully tightening the muscle in my calf (but I'm not) and it gets this strange tickly tingly feeling deep inside, kind of like when your leg goes to sleep, and it drives me nuts. I end up shaking my leg, kicking, doing whatever trying to get it to go away, but nothing helps. It just has to go away on its own.

Well, this started up again the other night, except it was in my right leg. We were watching tv and it started up in my right leg and it was so bad it caused my whole body to jolt a few times. Ever since then,I've been feeling it in both legs, but its very mild and I can ALMOST ignore it. I've also noticed it just a little bit in my arms and hands.

I've heard of restless leg syndrome - in fact my mom has it and she said her leg just jumps around and she can't do a thing about it. It sounds like the same kind of thing, but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else felt this kind of feeling? It's very hard to describe what it feels like. It doesn't hurt, but it's very uncomfortable.

Thank you!
I think there is Restless Leg Syndrome and then there is Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. Unless I am mistaken the first one gives you the urge to move your legs due to uncomfortable sensations such as prickling and tingling sensations and the second one causes spontaneous limb movement.

Mine used to spasm and jerk uncontrollably during the night. I was on Flexeril. They tried me on Baclofen and it got even worse! I would actually have to get out of bed and stand up. Since I've started on Neurontin and Flexeril it seems to have stopped or at least calmed down to a level that it's not severe enough to wake me up any longer.
The problem you describe sounds very much like restless leg (or limb) syndrome to me. This is quite common in MSers. I get it in the evenings in my right leg, which is my bad one for MS purposes. Since it isn't too awful and passes fairly quickly, I haven't sought any kind of treatment for it. I take enough meds as it is.

Spontaneous jerking is generally from myoclonus. Random nerve firings can produce surprising results! This too happens often in MS, but is not the same as RLS.

ess
I have always had similar symptoms, even from a very young age long before a MS diagnosis. For me, it mostly occurs at night but also if I am in a car for a long period of time or if I have tighter pants on or my legs feel bound in any way. Of course I self diagnosed RLS.  My first neuro, after hearing my diagnois LOL,  prescribed Neurontin at night which helped me sleep but when I changed to different (and much better) neuro she said it sounded like a form of spasticity. She prescribed Baclofen and explained that it should actually help the tightening from occuring when I'm asleep rather than allowing me to sleep through it. I feel much more rested in the morning now. Apparently the leg movement was keeping me from staying in a deep sleep for as long as I needed.

I'm on a very low dose just 10 mg and it still helps so just something to think about. Baclofen has made my life much much better!!!

Lisa
Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

I'm terrible about ignoring symptoms and I avoid going to the doctor just because I don't like to go, mainly because I don't like taking medications.

I have always considered the random shooting pains I get in my body normal .... I thought it happened to everyone, especially as we age. It wasn't until recently that I asked my husband about it. He said no, that doesn't happen to him and it didn't seem "normal" to him. I had never even mentioned it to anyone before.

When I had the weird sensation in my legs a few months ago, I didn't think much of it other than it was extremely annoying, but it eventually stopped after a few weeks. Now it's back and I'm feeling the same kind of sensations mildly in my arms and now my hands.

I don't know what's causing all of this - whether it's MS or something else. Even though I have many of the symptoms, I don't feel like my symptoms are severe enough to be MS....or if it is it's a very mild case.

I often wonder if any of this is related to the blood transfusions I had last year. That happened in January due to a severe diverticular bleed. In May my eyes started flaring up with the uveitis. In December the vertigo started up again (had it once about 3 years ago and thought I had a weird flu virus). This time the vertigo has stuck around although its very mild now and only lasts for a few seconds, but a few times every day. Then there's the weird sensations I'm getting. Skin infections/rashes. Can't wear my wedding ring because my finger will start hurting when I wear it.

I'm rambling!! Thanks for listening and thanks again for your responses.

Kay