Multiple Sclerosis Community
Ringing in both ears, now ringing telephones

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Hi everyone,
Ever since last year, with my fall, and hard onset of MS symptoms, I have had severe ringing in my ears, and that was bad enough, I'm just about use to it now, so I can practically block it out.
Now, I have a "ringing telephone" sound, constantly, in my ears.
I asked my wife, when we were outside the other day, if she could hear that phone ringing, and she couldn't.
I asked her if one of our phones was constantly ringing and to help me find it, of course, she couldn't hear it.
So, now I have both the constant "ringing" in my ears (high pitched sound), but also have a "telephone ringing" in my ears as well.

Have any of you experienced this symptom?
The brain is used to interpreting the signals that it gets from the ear.  That's why we can have a conversation in a crowded room.  When we start losing our hearing, or when there's neurological damage, there's some 'bad data' going into the brain, and it tells you that the ear is picking up something that it's really not.

Whenever I'm in the shower with a source of white noise, I hear sirens, the phone ringing, etc.  
I have had tinnitus since about 82'.  It is in both ears and the tone/quality varries constantly.  From ringing like a school bell, telephone, humming of a large transformer, etc.  Unless it gets extremely loud it really does not bother me.  For years I have run a box window fan all night long.  I run it on high and it does help.  In fact my wife and I have a hard time sleeping without it.  Although we live in a fairly quiet neighborhood, it also helps to block out other external noise.

Frank
Yes, in addition to the constant whirring in my left ear (which was damaged by a couple of hard sneezes in 1999), I sometimes hear, superimposed over it, various sounds that include a high-pitched tinkling, the Wall Street closing bell, or a distantly beeping alarm clock. Tinnitus is WEIRD stuff. Fortunately I am able to just tune it all out and consider it a part of "me."
Yep, I have it and hate it.  I have had tinnitus for 4 years not but another louder, different tone, and pulsating ringing started in April just as I was entering a new relapse.  Not saying the 2 are related because I think it was a medication I quite suddenly that may be the real culprit.  

You are in good company. We have had this question asked a lot over the past few years.  If you want to look at other posts, just put ear ringing or tinnitus in the search box and you'll find them.

My ENT told me last month when I fianlly went to look into it, that the ringing can very possibly be a garden variety version of tinnitus related to MS.  She didn't have anything to offer with relation to the new louder sounds - she knew about my previous tinnitus.  

If this is a new sound though, you should think about getting it checked out.  Tumors and aneurysms, very rare occurrances, can cause new onset tinnitus.  In this case the doctor will be able to hear it through his stethescopy.  

Hope this was helpful and even more hopeful that this is short-lived.  Some lucky people only have a short run of it before it goes away.

Take care.

Julie