Multiple Sclerosis Community
Room looks smokey?? Anyone have weird eye episode

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Last night I had a really weird moment...  I was on the sofa playing with the laptop and my husband had just come in from outside after 'playing' with one of his remote control planes.  He was standing in the kitchen and when I looked towards him, the kitchen looked like it was smokey...   kinda like if someone burns something and you open the oven and smoke pours out and the room has that smoke haze look?   I had a moment of panic thinking we had a fire or something, no one was cooking, it was later in the eveing...  but both my daughter and husband kinda laughed and said, no the room was perfectly clear.   He even turned off one of the lights to see if that helped.  Didn't really, still looked like the place was filling with smoke.

Didn't think much of it today until I started messing with my gluten free cooking experiments and my left eye started hurting / burning, similar to how it feels when you cut up a really strong onion (no onions were cut at the time, didn't even have them out)....   My eye even started to water like burning from onion.

Anyone have anything like this?   My husband and daughter last night thought it might just be that my eyes were tired after shopping earlier and making dinner, playing on laptop, etc, etc...   Didn't think much of it til now, so figured I would ask....   I've been to a neuro ophthmalogist and he said the optic nerves were fat and healthy, but that was in January and with the summer, don't know if I should have a recheck or just see if it occurs again.

Any thoughts?  

Jen
I'd get it checked out Jen.  I was just reading something about haziness a few days ago.  There are quite a few things that can explain it.  Some are very ordinary (variations of normal even) but other causes can be serious.  Since you are adding symptoms today I think I'd call your eye doc to report what's happening.  They can best tell you how quickly you need to be seen.

I had a similar incident last week.  I told my husband it looked hazy as we stood in the kitchen.  Looking out the window, he told me it was the heat and humidity and he thought it was going to rain.  I had to tell him that I meant it looked hazy INSIDE.  I didn't think it was going to rain inside (and it didn't).  

I was hot and tired that day and my vision was a little blurry.  I had also missed a couple doses of the Restasis I use to treat dry eyes.  The haziness disappeared after I rested and used some OTC moisture drops - but I didn't have other stuff develop like you have.

Dryness as the problem might be more likely if you were looking at that laptop for a while.  We tend to blink less when doing close work on the computer.  My doc also suspects the extreme dryness of my eyes is because there are excess T-cells there as a result of the inflammatory auto-immune processes that tend to attack me at every opportunity.

Please don't delay too long in getting this checked out.  It's better to put your mind at ease and you could end up with a simple treatment that offers great improvement in vision and comfort.
I had a similar incident late one night.  I was painting, and it was as if everything went gray - couldn't really see.  It was like my contacts were suddenly gummy and coated with something.  I blinked and blinked, but soon my eyes started going every which way (nystagmus.)  Turns out I had optic neuritis.
I have had this for years. Its especially bad when I look up from reading or computer or when going from dark to light or vice versa. My neuro and eye dr just pass over it when I mention it.

Hi Jen,
    I went through that same exact experience Jen.  I was home alone at the time. OMG if I were'nt on the phone @ the time and my friend telling me to look outside to see if it looks the same way ,then it's my eyes....Girl I was convinced my house was on FIRE.! So that was a flare up and the condition lasted for at least 2 days. My neuro put me on a steroid drip for 3 days then followed with oral for 5.

With the heat being like it has been I felt that contributed to it as well as extreme stress.. I have 2 lesions on my optics. What it's called  is extreme blurred vision. So far I have'nt  had an episode that extreme since. By the way prenisone was the medication I was prescribed .

Good luck and check to see if you have lesions on your optic nerve.

Francyna