Multiple Sclerosis Community
SEEING BUGS THAT AREN'T THERE

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

SEEING BUGS THAT AREN'T THERE

Is seeing things associated with MS?  I wake up many nights snatching at spiders and bugs in the air above me - these are very real until I look into my hand and don't see a squashed bug.  I have recently been diagnosed with MS.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks
Tags: ms, bugs, night, spiders
Hey there welcome to the forums.

Visual hallucinations are not common with MS or at least in the literature I've read.  I would speak to your doctor in regard to this symptom.  As you are aware, you're not catching any bugs after you open your hand, therefore, this is considered a hallucination.

This is something I would encourage you to let your doctor know.

Lisa
Well, it might not be common but often I will see black spots and think it is a tiny bugs hanging on my  hair or eye brow.  I, too, will gently try to grab the little critter over and over until I realize it isn't a bug but those tiny black spots. (I, too, have MS)

I have no idea if it is related to MS or just old age for me.  I just can assure you that there is at least one other person that does in fact see bugs that ain't there.

Sumana
Many thanks for your reply Lisa.  I'm seeing the specialist in 2 weeks - he's put me on Prednisolone for a while to see how they help.  Will talk to him about these symptoms, let you know and put his answer up on the site.

Happy hallucinations till then

Jennie
Many thanks for your reply Sumana.  I'm seeing the specialist in 2 weeks - he's put me on Prednisolone for a while to see how they help.  Will talk to him about these symptoms, let you know and put his answer up on the site.

Happy hallucinations till then

Jennie
Hi NAFJAF

A very interesting question that you pose. I have for years experienced waking up and seeing shapes of things and people. My wife gets irritated with me turning on the light in the middle of the night only to find that there isn't anything there. It really scares me at times. I thought I was unique but then at the last MS support group gathering I found another lady who experiences this same phenomenum. I guess we put this down to our belief in the spiritual world rather than MS specifically.

Anyway, a couple of months ago I started getting this feeling that I had something running over my back, particularly after having a shower. Then a few weeks later I felt as if there was something like a spider crawling across my forehead and cheek. My colleagues would laugh at me as I would swat myselft while trying to catch one of these imaginery creatures. And then I met another person with MS who also experienced phantom spiders.

The story ends with me sitting in a restaurant with my family and the waiter standing at our table taking orders. I felt a creepy crawly on my face and instantly slapped myself. To my utter surprise I hit a baby spider and said rather loudly to my wife 'look, its a real spider'. My wife said the waiter thought I was having a go at the cleanliness of the restaurant.

So, in summary, I don't think anything is unusual when it comes to MS symptoms. Good luck with your appointment.

Blessings
Alex