SWALLOWING
SOMETHING NEW I AM NOTICING IS THAT IT TAKES A LOT OF EFFORT TO SWALLOW I THINK I USED TO DO THIS AUTOMATICALLY NOW IT TAKES AN EFFORT
Mary:

I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with this.  It can be a difficult thing to manage without panic.

I have this issue on and off and I have learned there are a couple things I can do to make the swallowing process complete or easier. This in turn keeps me calm when it does happen,

If you don't mind my asking, do you have MS?

If you are interested in what I do to help manage with this please feel free to send me an email.

Missing_me
We just had a huge conversation about this.  I am forwarding you the link to that post as I think it will be very helpful for you. Or you can look down today's posts and find it, whichever is easier.

Swallowing Problems in MS
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Multiple-Sclerosis/Swallowing-problems-with-eating-or-drinking/show/1251948

Swallowing issues are very, very important.  I was dx with it while in the hospital last month.  We could see that the muscles in the back of my tongue and throat were not coordinating and that once I swallow, particles of food were going down the wind pipe and not the food pipe.  

They suspected that I was having a swallowing problem because at the time I was admitted to the hospital, I was still recovering from aspiration pneumonia.  This is a very serious condition that can potentially result from not swallowing properly.  

Please read the thread and if you have more questions, by all means say so and we'll all be happy to help.  

Take good care.

Julie