Scared
I just went to the neurologist yesterday and he didn't tell me anything good.

I was diagnosed in August of this year and I have been on Copaxone for two months. I just recently started having tingling in my back and some numbness in my bottom lip. I thought I might be having another attack.

The neurologist said he does think it's another attack and that it is probably effecting my brain stem because of my symptoms. He said the Copaxone probably isn't going to work and he wants to put me on Tysabri.

He says that lesions on the brain stem usually lead to more severe disability. I am to schedule an MRI to see what it shows.

I'm afraid of going on Tysabri and I'm even more afraid about what might happen to me in the future.
Two months is too short of a time to know if the copaxone is really going to work.  I find it interesting that your neuro is ready to jump ship already - is he an MS specialist or a general neuro?

Tysabri wouldn't be the first or second drug of choice - I would be curious what the neuro is thinking.

Get that MRI scheduled and get the answers about what is going on before worrying too much about what he has said.  This disease is totally unpredictable as to what is coming next.

be well,
Lulu
My neuro is a MS specialist. I think he was concerned about me having numbness in my lower lip. He said that that indicated trouble near or on my brain stem and that could cause "severe" disability. He said I could go on the Tsybari for a year and then try the Copaxone again maybe.
First things first, don't be afraid.  Brainstem lesions are certainly something that will affect you, but it's a bit early to start worrying.  Who knows where that lesion is?  And even better, it may not be a lesion on your brainstem, but a problem with the trigeminal nerve.

I started out with a drooping right eyelid.  I started to develop numbness in my nose, lip, and cheek.  My chin spent a year tingling and buzzing. Then my lower lip on the right side really became a problem, because it was so weak that it wouldn't close properly.   I really had to pay attention to it.  Then in September of this year, my lip, nose and eyelid started to feel really cold - as if I had stuck that side of the face in the freezer.

So do I have a brainstem lesion?  Who knows.  I either have a brainstem lesion or demyelination of the trigeminal nerve.  If it is a brainstem lesion, it hasn't caused me to be in a wheelchair.  Or conversely, numbness of the face doesn't always mean that you have a lesion in the brainstem.  The most important thing is to treat the symptoms.  It sounds like you have a neuro who's paying attention, and that's the most important thing.
Thanks that makes me feel a little better. He did order a course of steroids so he does seem to be acting on what he thinks is going on.
I'm scared too. I've on Betaseron for almost a year and keep relasping. I'm afraid  Tysabri is the next step for me as well. I go back to the neuro on the 22nd. I'm doing out patient treatment now with IV steroids. She said we have to make a change.