Seizures, month's supply of Aricept
I went to my PCP yesterday morning because my neurologist's office recommended I see her for a possible medication interaction causing my seizures...  well, as you can guess, there is no medication interaction.  My PCP, who's a nice intelligent grandma-type, thought this was an issue for the neurologist.  She also gave me a sample of an inhaler for asthma, although so far it hasn't helped my shortness of breath.

So I called the neurologist up, and surprisingly there was an opening that afternoon!  So I went to that appointment, and we got to talk about the seizures, and as he didn't have a copy of the neuro-psych exam results, I gave him a copy of mine.  

He thinks that the seizures I'm having aren't simple partial, as I'm experiencing symptoms on both side.  He says that a simple partial is a 'unilateral' kind of seizure.  I hadn't heard this - if Quix or Sunny is reading this, have you heard this before?  But he wants me to keep an eye on them, and if they get any worse, to let them know.  It's a comfort level thing for me - there are drugs to combat the seizures, but if they aren't happening right now, there's no point in taking the drug.  (Last one I had was on August 23rd.)

I asked him for a prescription for Aricept, and he seemed a little annoyed.  He said that there are no real clinical trials to prove the effectiveness of Aricept on mild cognitive impairment, and that it would be a waste of time.  I'm not sure he understands the results of the exam.  I'm moderately impaired in a few specific areas.  Average it out, and I'm in the 'mild' category.  But at any rate, I talked him into giving me a month's worth of Aricept.  He says that a month will be enough time to tell whether it's going to do anything - and of course, if I find the side effects unacceptable, then discontinue the drug.

He's right in that there isn't a large clinical trial for Aricept and multiple sclerosis.  There's been one trial, involving 69 people with mild cognitive impairment, and they showed improvement on the drug.  Since then, there's been no research on whether Aricept works.  

So I guess I'll be doing my own research!  I'll keep everybody up to date on whether the stuff works - if it does, wouldn't that be nice?  Clean out the gunk in the ol' noggin, and maybe think a little more clearly.
I'm glad you brought your own copy of the test results with you and did a lot of your own research.  You are justified in being concerned about cognitive issues.  I have no diagnosis, but my problems with concentration and clear thinking are what trouble me most.  Good luck with the Aricept, I hope you update us on how it goes.  

Is is really ok to just keep an eye on Seizures?  I have an epileptic brother, maybe your seizures are not nearly on the same scale but I hope you are in no danger from them and that there is some way to get them under control.

My neuro seemed concerned as well.  If they were less predictable, I would be taking the anti-seizure medication, no question.  I feel a certain way when they happen - light makes me feel weird, I'm fatigued in that special sort of way...  And I haven't had any since August 23rd, and that was after I got overheated.  Neuro says that a seizure won't hurt me - it's just a question of me injuring myself or others if I lose consciousness, and so far, that hasn't happened.