Multiple Sclerosis Community
Severe leg and groin pain?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Severe leg and groin pain?

Anyone ever have muscle spasms that caused severe pain in their leg when bending at the knee (such as kneeling, getting in and out of a car, etc.) or in the groin area?

Baclofen isn't working for me - so I'm just wondering if I'm nuts.  This has been going on for a month now and the pain is wearing me down.
I do not but am a physical therapist that had a patient experiencing this recently.  She had a 2 year history of chronic headaches with no diagnosis despite multiple scans.  She was sent to me for thigh muscle strain that appeared the morning after sitting crosslegged on the floor painting.  Pain initially was in her left thigh and groin then progressed to involve the right thigh and groin.  By the 4th session, it became apparent it was neurological and patient arrived and couldn't walk without scissoring her legs.  She also had severe pain when bending the knee.  Repeat MRI slowed MS type lesions.  She is STILL waiting now (about 2 months) for her neuro consult.  Spoke with her recently and she is still having the same symptoms -- taking morphine 2x/day and Lortab for the breakthrough pain with minimal relief.

The major muscle goup on the front of your thigh is called the quadriceps (actually made up of 4 different muscles) -- the main mover (rectoris femoris) is actually a knee straightener and a hip bender.  At its shortest point, the hip is bent with the knee straight.  Straightening the hip or bringing it behind you and bending the knee put more stretch on the muscle.  If you already have spasms in the muscle, stretching it further (i.e., bending the knee) can indeed cause pain.  Not nuts . . . . at least not about this :)

TiredPT
Thanks so much for your reply and your very easy-to-understand explanations.  My pain when bending my knee is in the back of my leg (behind the knee I guess you could say) in my left leg and the groin pain is on the right side - what do you think about that?
I'm sorry your having so much pain and that baclofen isnt working for you. I understand spasms, my right hip and leg have been bothering me for a long time now and I feel they are permanently going to stay that way despite pt and stretching I do at home. The only thing helps me is taking flexeril and xanax. I take gabapentin for pain and it does help getting the burn out. Let us know.

Lots of Hugs,

Spastic Ada