Multiple Sclerosis Community
Shaking from inside

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Shaking from inside

Hi all, Ive not long been diagnosed and recently have developed a feeling of extreme tirdness, balance issues and a feeling of shakiness from inside. If I try to do too much, the tremor in my arms and legs start to show on the outside in my arms or legs.
I have only had this tremor once about a year ago and it only happened when I put resistance on my muscles. Im just wondering if anyone can relate to this feeling of shakiness/tremor I feel from within?
I am due to see the MS nurse on Friday but just wanted to know if anyone else can relate to this symptom?  Thanks Heather
  • Tremors (5 replies):
    I'm trying to figure out my tremors. I have spaticity i...[more]
  • shaking finger (1 replies):
    Hi, am a 27yr old male student. I have been having one o...[more]
  • tremors (12 replies):
    I know there are several types of tremors but I haven't ...[more]
  • Tremors - atypical (5 replies):
    I've been having steroid treatment for another relapse i...[more]
  • tremor
    hi i have a consistent tremor it is noiticed with my hea...[more]
I think I know what you're talking about.  Just about every evening after work we walk our dog. On the longer walks (about a mile), my legs feel like they're shaking on the inside by the time we get back to the house.  I think it's because of my muscle weakness in my legs.  It just makes them shake.  I was Dxd in late July. .  
When I'm really fatigued or in a flare, I get this feeling of shakiness in my legs and torso.  I feel so tired that I don't know if my legs will hold me up, and they shake a little bit.  

It sounds like you're describing action tremor.  There's several different kinds of tremor, but the one that affects us MS patients is action tremor - when you try to use the muscle, it shakes.  For example, my hand doesn't shake at rest, but if I hold it out, it'll tremor.

So what to do about it?  Unfortunately, not much.  What I did was rest a whole bunch.
Hi Heather,

I was mentioning an internal tremor for at least 3 years before it became visible. I first noticed the shaky feeling when ever I got up in the middle of the night, then i started to notice it during the day too. When ever i was tired from being active or busy, my hand would be shaking when it never had shook before. This feeling would come and go, and being a little skinny person, food was the only explanation my doc could come up with.

I was stuffing my face 5 times, then 7, then adding protein shakes between meals lol nothing changed except I'd be running up flights of stairs and not notice, but those weeks when i was feeling this internal tremor i was dragging my self up those same stairs. Over time these periods of feeling shaking started to become noticable to others, I was still stuffing my face but still the tremor came and when it did, it was getting harder to hide.

I accidently discovered I could make the invisible shaky/tremor feeling visible, why I did this I still dont know but I put a ticket stub between my lips and the tremor shook the ticket, making the invisible visible. Apparently holding a peice of paper between your lips or in an out stretched hand is a simple and inexpensive test doctors can do to test for an invisible or fine tremor.

I know the feeling well and for me its different to the jelly tremor vibration things that happen too. Its now always there, but it becomes visible more and more, activity and fatigue play a big part in making it visible, its no longer just my hand shaking either.

Cheers.........JJ

I have not experienced the sort of tremor you describe, but I like JJ's description of "the jelly tremor vibratinon thing" which is there for me most days but comes and goes. I also notice that if I am busy I tend not to notice it so much but when I am quiet and resting I feel it a lot more.  

I am sure that there are many other people on the forum who can relate to what you describe and I think that it takes a while to really get to know and understand what is going on in your body.  It is early days since you were diagnosed and I am glad that you are seeing the MS nurse soon so can talk to her about what you are feeling as it helps.

With best wishes

Sarah

I can relate to the jelly tremor but it seems to be inside, nothing you can see from the outside

HUGS to all