Multiple Sclerosis Community
Shingles?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Shingles?

I've had MS for 30 years.  Started off with RR and I am now Secondary Progressive.  I'm doing pretty well.  That is until yesterday.  I've had some pain on my right side and yesterday I started getting a rash, much like chicken pox.  I also was having trouble with my gallbladder.  I'm in lost of pain and I am taking Demerol for it.  I pain goes away, but I still feel like I have a band around my chest.  I used to get the MS Hug before my secondary progressive dx.  I don't know whether this is the HUG or something to do with the shingles.  Has anyon here ever had shingles?

if you think this could be shingles, please go see your doctor straight away.  There are some drugs that help if started early.

Yes, what you are describing could be shingles.

I've had it.  Very painful and unpleasant, but should recover.

Sally
I have never had Shingles, but have read a lot on it, and this does sound like what I have read about it!  I agree with Sally, if you suspect Shingles go to your doctor for treatment!  Shingles can have some complications and some of them can be serious!

Don't remember seeing you here before!  Are you new here?  If so, welcome to the forum and I hope you will stick around with us!

Take Care,
~Santana~
Hi there and welcome. I had shingles 10 or 12 years ago and it was excruciatingly painful. Never want to go there again!

Shingles follow the path of a nerve, and sometimes you can actually watch the progression of the attack by where the next outbreak develops over days. This is gross, but it is in the form of blisters, which have colorless goo in them. It is always only on one side of the body, since that's the way nerves are situated.

If you have a scattered general rash that's not likely to be shingles. Nevertheless, it won't hurt to have this checked out by your PCP.

By the way, did you know that there now is a vaccination against shingles? Haven't had it yet but I plan to.

Best of luck.
ess
I just got over having the rash, on my left shoulder, but now I am having horrible, horrible pain in the back of my head, and on the side of the head, could this be related to the shingles. My Dr. said it would be very painful and gave me tylenol w/ codeine, and an antivral medication.... how long will i feel this bad....please feel free to email, me ***@****.....
I just got over having the rash, on my left shoulder, but now I am having horrible, horrible pain in the back of my head, and on the side of the head, could this be related to the shingles. My Dr. said it would be very painful and gave me tylenol w/ codeine, and an antivral medication.... how long will i feel this bad....