Multiple Sclerosis Community
Should I get tested for MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Should I get tested for MS?

To start, I feel like a hypochondriac. I've been tested for hypothyroidism twice (reasons: random temperature drops and trouble losing weight), both results negative. I've been diagnosed with bipolar disorder (not medicated). I am always tired. Recently I've felt like I am on the brink of losing control over the muscles in my right arm. I've had numbness in my arms and legs for years (attributed to poor circulation), and I get cold easily at inconsistent temperatures (also attributed to poor circulation). I've had memory lapses since high school (attributed to my fatigue), and my ability to speak aloud is getting slowly worse (also attributed to fatigue), sometimes to the point I get so flustered trying to find a word that I have to leave the room.

My 2nd cousin was diagnosed with MS at my age (21).  Should I seriously look into getting tested or am I drawing lines between dots that aren't connected?
You kinda sound like me. I have not been diagnosed with MS but posted here yesterday about some of the symptoms I've been experiencing, so I know what you mean about feeling like a hypochondriac. I have high blood pressure, and have been dealing with it for a few years now, and even though I have MS-like symptoms, I get the impression that they are not severe enough to be considered actual MS.
You mention poor circulation has been attributed to numbness sensations and problems adjusting to temperature. I've been experiencing similar things, and I'm only now beginning to think there is a connection between my high blood pressure, poor circulation, and these symptoms. I experience fatigue too, but from what I understand about MS fatigue, it's such an extreme fatigue you are physically unable to get out of bed; not the same as feeling so tired you don't feel like getting out of bed.
In a way, your post has helped shed some light on my health concerns. I'd love to hear what someone has to say about all this.
groan, I just typed you a long reply and the forum wanted a "log in" and lost the whole thing.

I wouldn't worry too much about MS, for starters, your % of getting it from your parents is only 2%.  You also mention bilateral symptoms on your limbs, which is unusual but not impossible with MS.  Dr. Google will also give you MS as a possible about 90% of any query you present.

I'd start with asking my doctor to run labs to see if you are balanced with all of those.  Many things can cause the symptoms you are describing.  MS fatigue is like no other.

Good luck and relax, MS is a slow moving train most of the time.
I went to my family doctor today and she said I may have a central tremor.  If this is true, I will go on beta blockers because my line of work requires fine detailing. She also told me to cut out all caffeine. She IS sending me get blood work to rule out genetic factors like diabetes and then for a consult with a neurologist to rule out more serious causes for the tremors.
Thank you both for your responses, by the way.  Sarah,  yours definitely put the breaks on my panic train.
You are welcome, and stay away from Dr. Google (grin)