Side effects from long term Avonex use
Have there been any studies published as to the possible long term effects of Avonex use?
I am a 10 yr + user of Avonex and am becoming concerned.
My healing time from minor cuts etc seems to be exceedingly long. I recently under went dental surgery and my dentist commented on my slow healing.
I am at an age where major surgery occurs and fractures also some times and I am afraid that I would be debileated long term or worse if this was to occur.
Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks  Mike G.
I haven't heard about Avonex causing those side effects long term.  It may be worth it to have your blood glucose checked.  Having diabetes can cause this delay in healing.

As always, your doctor knows best.

Best Wishes,
Heather
Welcome to the forum!  I hope you join us.  I am Quix, one of the community leaders and a physician in a former life.

We have nearly twenty years of experience with the interferons in MS.  Several of those years are with the participants of the original studies before the various formulations were approved.  There have been no addition adverse side effects seen in the years after approval.  There is still the occasional liver enzyme elevation, the occasional drop in white cell count (neutropenia).  But, there has been no suppression of the immune system (which would include problems with slow healing).  There has no been any suggestion that there is an increase in cancer like can be seen with the treatments for other autoimmune diseases.

Yes, the doctors involved in studying these drugs have looked back and published these findings.

But, your difficulty in healing seems concerning.  It should be looked at in the same way that such a thing would be investigated in any person.  People with MS are not immune to all the other problems that people get.  Your PCP should look at your glucose status, as Heather mentioned.  Check you for vitamin deficiencies, and perhaps get an immunology consult.

I hope this helps.

Quix
I have been on Avonex since the fall of 2009 to treat my MS. My symptom of fatigue is troubling and my heart vs my head attributes this to my medication more than the illness. Is this correct? Will the fatigue subsist with time?