Multiple Sclerosis Community
Something new going on. Finger pain

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Something new going on. Finger pain

This started about 1 month ago and I'm not sure if it is MS related or not. I keep going back and forth on that part of it.

When I reach for something or pick something up with my right hand I get a sharp pain between the first and second knuckles on the top side of my index finger on my right hand. It is the right side of my body that the MS effects the most.

I had planed to have it checked out at the ER in the VA hospital while I was up there but forgot since I didn't move in the right way to cause the pain while I was there.

Any thoughts about this for anyone?

Dennis
My MS or a disk in my neck they are not sure effects my right hand but I also have pain down my arm. It is possible it is MS. It could be arthritis.

Alex
Thanks. I doubt it is arthritis as the pain occurs without any movement of the finger and the pain is not located in any joints.

This evening I went shopping and when I reached for my purchase at the checkout the pain was so bad everything started going black for a second. It took about 15 minutes for the pain to completely subside. It felt just like when I broke the middle finger of my left hand in a car accident back in 1993.

If I didn't have a contractor coming by my house tomorrow to give me an estimate on replacing my roofing on my house I would head up to the VA to get it checked out.  

I do have an appointment with my MS Neuro next Tuesday so I guess I'll wait until then and ask him about it.

Dennis
Dennis, you don't suppose this finger could be broken, do you?  I had a fine fracture of one of the bones in my rright elbow back in elementary school, and memory says it hurt as bad as the other arm did when it had been broken more substantially in my late prreschool years.  Sometime bones break inder stress, not just from impact.  Just sayin'.

Peace & blessings to you & yours.
Dan,

I suppose it could be as I do know that I have low bone density. That was found out after I broke my finger in the auto accident. I was a very low speed accident in a parking lot and normally shouldn't have caused any bone to break.

I had another episode today with the finger only worse. I was outside in my driveway and when the contractor finish figuring out what it would cost for my roof he handed to me. As I reached for the paper again extreme pain, but this time my knees buckled on me as well and the blacking of my vision and by the time I recovered I was already half way to the ground. It also took about 1 hour this time for the pain to go away.

I guess I should head up to the VA tomorrow as I can't go around almost passing out all the time.

Dennis

PS the quote for the roof was $6000 less than I expected. That is always welcome news for me.
Hi Dennis,

I don't know what could cause that! It seems like if it was broken it would stay and not come and go. I have no dx yet, but my pain especially head is on the right side too. Hope it gets better soon!
Dennis

So, roof less than expected, hmmm.....you throwing a party for all of us.......I only live....................away (grin)

Seriously, happy to hear that, its been too long coming and a discount is always welcome!

I "think" what Pastor Dan is thinking of is called a "greenstick fracture" which is so slight you have to look for it on an x-ray but can cause a devil of a pain to you.  It needs to be treated like a regular fracture, so if you have your hand x-rayed, ask them to look to see if you have a greenstick fracture.  Think of it as bending a green twig and nothing shows on the outside but if you could CT the inside, you'd see at least one of the strands weakened or broken or looking abnormal......

I had my hand bent backwards once after falling against a wall (should have taken note of that one for my MS timeline that I didn't know at the time I needed, and that was one of the things they said they were looking for.  Only time I've ever had anyone look for it, other than when I fell in DC and they did a CT because they felt I'd fractured a rib.

Hope you get some answers soon, that is enough to ruin your day!
I did 8 hrs on Friday and didn't see anything except hawks sitting in trees along side the road, darn, you are still #1 in the wildlife count.