Speech disturbance
Hello - recently I went to my GP for an exam for surgical clearance for an issue totally unrelated to the MS that I have.  I was given, basically, a complete physical. The doctor who I saw (one covering for my GP) told me that my speech was odd to her.  It seemed, to  her, that I had a 'mouth full of candy' making my speech seem odd.  She suggested that I follow up with my neurologist.  She also said it could just be due to the fact that she had never seen me before and didn't really know me, but it would be a good idea to have it checked out anyway.

Has anyone else ever been told that MS has caused speech disturbances like this?
MS causes damage to the brain, so it could definitely affect the speech center, and even the muscles controlling the mouth and larynx.  I've had problems with slurring my words in the past.
Hi Karen,
the UK MS website has some excellent information on MS and speech difficulties.  According to them 40-50% of all MS patients experience this problem.

I notice the quality of my voice changes - at times it is very strong and then other times it is weak and quiet.  I am so new to dx that I haven't talked to my neuro about this yet.

I put a few extra spaces in this address so it will clear the autocensor here.  You may want to read more  there - take all the extra spaces out ....

www. mssociety. org.uk   /about_ms/symptoms/speech_difficulties/index.html

My best,
Lulu
I was told by a doctor who knew me well, not a neuro, that my speech sounded odd to him, and that was before I even noticed it myself. What I did notice was that my tongue was partly numb, and that must have been what caused me to slur my s sounds.

Here's another s sound!

ess  (no longer slurred)
I find it funny (not ha ha funny, but you know what I mean) though that my voice does not sound 'odd' to me.  I mentioned this to my daughter, and she told me that when I speak, it sounds as though my tongue is swollen.
You bring up a very interesting and important point.  Yes, speech changes are very common in MS, expecially as it progresses.  I somehow would expect one to be aware of the change, but you and ess had other's notice it before you yourselves did.

It can change in many ways; strength, hoarseness, thickness, breathiness.  and like other motor and coordination problems can vary from one part of the day to the other.

The classic "MS Sppeech" is called scanning speech.  The person says every syllable with emphasis.  I actually heard this kind of speech recently when I was in the ER.  And realized that I have heard it frequently.  It is quite intelligible, but is changed in the rhythm and tempo.  One MS researcher explained it as,"There is a pause after every syllable and the syllables themselves are pronounced slowly."

But, several members here have complained that their voices sounded thick.  Also there can be problems in forming words called dysarthria.  Interestingly, there have been cases where life-long stuttering actually went asway with the appearance of MS.  Other people complain of stuttering, though this may be a problem with word recall.

So, you are not alone.

Quix
Yes, I have had that happen to me and that was what led the doctor to believe I really had MS. It was a one time event back in 1983 but if I get over tired, I tend to slur my words. My hubby then says "Get to bed, now!" It is even hard to describe what it was like, but I just woke up one morning and yes, it was halting and slurred all at once! They called it cluttered speech back then. The doc told me to repeat "the ragged rascal ran round the rugged rock" and it was very difficult. Supposedly that was very telling! Good to get it checked out!
I have so many other health issues that this does not make me happy.  :-(  But I will get it checked out after I deal with some other more pressing issues.

Karen...I have been dealing with speech difficulties since July 2007 and I just underwent neuro/psych testing but to be honest...I haven't gotten anywhere with it.  I stutter, slur my words, when I am distracted a totally new language comes from somewhere and it's all very frustrating.  I agree that you should deal with what is on your plate right now and then deal with this...if this doctor is the only one that has noticed it and it has not been a problem for you...it will be there when you have dealt with the big issues.

Lots of Luck,
Rena
Thank you.  For some reason, your words made me feel good.  You're right, there is another issue pressing at the moment and this doctor is the only one who has mentioned anything about my speech.  So, I will comfortably put it on the back burner for now.  

Thanks again  :-D