Multiple Sclerosis Community
Sphenoid sinus disease finding on mri?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Sphenoid sinus disease finding on mri?

Earlier I posted about my Mri.  Well I went and got a copy of report.  No lesions yet, but now showing evidence of sphenoid sinus disease, which on investigation I found is related to retrobulbar optic neuritis.

Any comments are appreciated......
well, dusting off my text books, ON is a "RARE" connection to SSD......
remembering that SSD is caused by an infection (usually) that is running wild (usually).  There are some European studies trying to link it but normally, you just need to get that sinus stuff taken care of!

Ask your neuro for a good ENT doc.  When do you see him?

Yeah, we all do it but we shouldn't read and interpret MRI reports.......we know just enough to get into deep water and cast the line called "I wonder".....LOL

no lesions, huh.....hmmm........you have the disc to take to the neuro so he can READ it?  just wondering.  Not sure if you wanted to "find" something or not but hope it works out!
hugs
Sarah
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for commenting....appreciate it.

My neurologist has been on route for diagnosing my MS as benign in etiology over the past 10 years now.  I have been suffering severe attacks of trigeminal neuralgia type pain of late, leading to this MRI.  The ER has been my only source for the 2 attacks using Dilaudid.

I was not expecting MS lesions, but was hoping for to get diagnosed.  The sphenoid sinus disease surprised me, although I did find its a part of the trigeminal nerve branches.  My neuro appt is next week, so will see what he thinks....

He just told me last week, "some things just cannot be explained."  So, I just keep trucking along.

Thanks again
Having had many MRIs and hearing about so many others, I know that brain MRIs so often overdiagnose sinus issues. The CT scan is a much better indicator of problems in that region. If you see an ENT, he or she will probably order one of these. Also consult your primary doc.

Not saying this can't be connected to MS lesions in some way, but I'd think it would be extremely rare. I just want to caution you against reading too much into this without more info.

ess
Hi ess,

I agree n thanks...  I know radiologists over and under diagnose....  I was thinking this would be a secondary issue, if it was truly a sphenoid sinus problem, which can have some serious issues in and of itself.....

Also the radiologist did not compare it to my prior scan 2 years ago.  In the end, I still get frustrated after these 10 years.  Just when I feel somewhat okay, something else happens....

Thanks ess, I always appreciate your help.....

Bye...take care.....

Terri