Multiple Sclerosis Community
Spinal Cord MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Spinal Cord MS

Does anyone here have spinal cord MS, if so, what are your main symptoms and how do you find they differ from the symptoms that you read about of other (generalised?) MS sufferers?
hi :-) I'm pretty new to all  this but i have lesions on my spinal cord aswell as my brain, main problem is l'hermittes, but have also recently had numbness from chest to knees, don't know if it's related to the spine one or something new :-(
best wishes
nic
My MS lesions on the spine affect my bladder function.  The signals are not clearly communicated and voiding is often complicated.    Spinal lesions disrupt the flow of the signal  to and from the brain and can cause all sorts of problems, especially with your limbs.  

best, Lulu
Spinal lesions here.  Past sx with numbness, tingling, burning sensations, liquid sentations, etc, all in either limbs or trunk.

Julie
I have lesions in my spine.
Some of my symptoms are:
l'hermittes
numb/tingling feet
left leg weakness - and sometimes weakness on both legs
tightness/pulling/spasms on the back of my left thigh
foot cramps
pinpricks/numbness on left side from toes to tailbone
MS hug
bladder issues
and hypersensitive skin on the inside of my lower left leg.

-Kelly
I have several lesions in my spine.  One at T10, which causes leg weakness in my knees, and upper lesions, which cause MS hug.  There's also sensory problems - numbness and paresthesia, cramping, myoclonus, bladder and bowel issues.
I'm not sure I would refer to lesions on the spinal cord as "Spinal MS."  It is more like MS with spinal lesions.  There is a subset of MS that is referred to as Optico-Spinal MS that is a combination of NMO (Neuromyelitis Optica) with lessions on the spinal cord that is common in Asian populations.

There is also a demyelinating disease of the spinal cord called Transverse Myelitis (TM) that has some similarities to MS, but can occur independently.  Some people with (TM) seem to go on to develop MS.

At this point in time, we talk about MS like it is a singular disease, and you will see some posts that say "MS does what it does."  In truth, there is some emerging evidence that MS may be a "spectrum" of neurologic diseases.  There is pretty good agreement that one form is caused by a direct immune response against the CNS that results in demelination.  There are some other diseases that may be the result of failure in ion channel pumps within the nerves themselves.  There are also some evidence that persistent viral infections within the CNS can cause similar issues.  

This may be more complex than a single disease.  Considering all of the issues with diagnosing MS today, I'm not sure I expect the medical community at large to do better at figuring out the specific subset of the disease.  The main hope in identifying the subsets is developing specific tests and therapies and improving the long term outcomes.

Bob
Thanks for the input Bob, though I wasn't referring to MS of the spinal cord as being 'spinal cord MS' as an official term. It was just my way of simplifying things. I suppose what I was trying to say was; MS with evidence of spinal cord lesions only (that isn't to say brain lesions aren't present). Though I was also interested to hear back from all those who have spinal cord lesions, and how this affects them, really.
I have MS is my spine only, the last mri showed it had not spread. I have nunbness and tingling in both hands, my neck is always stiff. I am in cronic (chronic) pain and have random spasms in my legs and groin. It is not pleasent and trying to convince Dr.s that I am in alot of pain is a joke. They think everone is out fishing for a fix. Not being understood is the hardest part.
I've got some spinal lesions too, at C4-C5. They're playing up a bit at the moment and my right leg is pretty numb (sensory) and the l'hermittes has got stronger (I'm getting a shooting shock type pain down my right arm when I bend my neck forward, and my arm gets weaker at the same time).

The top part of my right arm and my right upper back are also sensory numb (local anaesthetic type feeling) and my left leg vibrates as through there's a phone ringing somewhere inside of it.

My neuro has said this is most probably to do with the spinal lesions being more active at the moment, but I do also have some brain lesions so it might be them all playing up in unison.

MS is definitely a MyStery!
According to my general neuro, I have silent lesions on my spine.  Most of my sensory (paresthesias, L'Hermittes), spasticity, spasms, and weakness, urinary symptoms, etc. are attributed to spinal lesions.  My C-spine and T-spine MRIs don't show these lesions.  My brain has a number of lesions, though.  The big one on my brainstem is probably responsible for my TN.

Our Health Pages has an interesting entry called Lesions, Lesions, Lesions!  Describes locations and correlations, etc.  Have a look!

Cheers,
Lisa
It is like you were listing my symptoms! I could hardly believe it, down to the left side tugging and back of leg etc. What are you on to help? Right now, I am not on any MS therapy. I am trying a more natural approach (diet, exercise, relaxation, massage) & while my doctor was surprised that I have improved, I am stil struggling. I am happy to struggle, to fight the fight, but I am just wondering what others, like yourself with symptoms so similar to mine, are doing to help make the playing field maybe a little more level?
I have them on my spine too.  Left arm/leg weakness, hug, numb/tingly feet and hands, and bladder problems.  I also have several in my brain though.

Tammy