Spinal Lesions
I've read a few comments on here that if someone has MS, the symptoms would normally only be on one side.  Is this still the case if someone had a lesion on their spine?  Could symptoms be on both sides below the point of the lesion?

Poppy
Hey poppy,

MS when it 'first' presents, doesn't typically produce sx's on both sides of the body, it usually hits one side first but over time and with newly developed lesions, its quite likely to then experience MS sx's on both sides.

What MS doesn't typically do is produce symmetrical sx's, so same sx's in the exact same place on both sides of the body at the same time, eg both feet or both hands etc. MS doesn't produce 'all over' or rapidly spreading sx's, or new sx's every other day.

When it comes to spinal lesions, the sx's are more predictable eg bladder/bowel, sexual dysfunction etc but just like brain lesions, there are different diseases that cause them, size, shape, horizontal vs vertical etc. MS spinal lesions do produce sx's below but in order for 1 lesion to effect both sides 'equally' the lesion would need to be very large or laying vertically and from my lay persons understanding, that wouldn't be very common in MS.

We have a health page that explains spinal lesions and its well worth reading

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Multiple-Sclerosis/Spinal-Cord-Lesions/show/764?cid=36

Cheers........JJ

Thanks for your reply JJ.  I've got different symptoms in each foot, eg pins and needles left foot but pain in the sole of my right foot so would assume they'd be from different lesions??  They also arrived at different times.   My left hand, arm, shoulder and up the left side of the back of my neck is also affected but my right is not affected at all (thank goodness).  

I've got a repeat MRI late next month and very much hope it will shed some more light on what's going on.  

Poppy
No, not 4 different lesions.  You need to read the health pages to the right on this page.  They are a wealth of information and should answer most of your questions far better than we can.