Multiple Sclerosis Community
Stem Cell Research?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Stem Cell Research?

I read an article the other day about new research into stem cells, pertaining to MS. Here's what the article said:

In an exciting new approach, MS patients are being treated with their own stem cells to repair nerve damage.  

In a small trial, researchers harvested stem cells from the bone marrow of six MS patients and then injected them with the cells.

Stem cells are able to develop into other cell types, and the theory is that the cells might be able to repair or replace damaged nerve tissue in MS patients.

"We believe that bone marrow cells have the capability to repair precisely the type of damage that we see in the brain and spinal cord in MS," said Dr. Neil Scolding, who headed the research team at England's Frenchay hospital near Bristol.

If the stem cell treatment proves successful, it could benefit millions of MS patients, says Dr. Scolding.

Just thought all of you would be interested in this little tidbit.  Does make sense, but guess we will just have to wait and see what the results are.  Sure is a small group, but you never know.

Hope all of you are having a good day.

Love and ((((hugs))))

Doni
What a blessing and miracle that would be.  Did the article say how long they expect this to take?   I wish I was one of those six people doing the trial.  Thanks for the information.

I'll be praying,
Carol
Hey your birthday is in Nov?  Mine too...what day?  I am the 15th.
WOW! How about that! Mine is the 14th!! Glad to meet you fellow Scorpio!
Just bumping this up, I was hoping Quix might comment.
Heheh

I'm November 17th!!
  Whats really interesting is that they are now harvesting stem cells from your nose. You see, your nose has millions of receptors in it that are nerves. They are damaged and destroyed day in and day out yet they have the capacity to regrow and repair themselves in a very short time.

Someday as mentioned above they may be able to use them to repair your lesions. They are currently doing treatments in China using this idea. Stem cells are reintroduced into the brain via an electric drill and a small hole in your head. Seemed to be a painless procedure but sure made an LP look like child's play.

Some patients have claimed to regain some aspects of their movement that was lost to disease. The treatments have note been proven. They originated in Great Britain where they are still experimenting with mice which have gone from a paralyzed condition to fully functional in a matter of weeks.

They are in the process of setting up some testing to be done on humans that will hopefully show some promise. From there who knows.

Johnny
Yes, it does sound promising.  I just wish they would have a larger test group if it is true that this treatment could reverse some of the damage from MS.

I am sure there are many people who would volunteer to be test subjects.

Well, thanks for your info. Have a great day!  

doni
Have any of you heard of stemtech health?  http://www.enhancestemcellsnaturally.com/description.htm
I personally have not tried this product, I wasn't having any major problems, but there are a few people here locally that have and would not want to be without it.
Hi all,
Have any one of you have used the products of stem tech,it has various products of it like,stem enhance,stem pets,stem equine,etc.I got all these products from http://www.enjoyhealthybody.com.

If any one have used it previously ,then please tell me how much beneficial they are.
I have read an article earlier where an MS patient (in US) had stem cell therapy. His feedback was that his condition improved but the effect lasted couple of weeks. He had stem cell therapy that was directed towards repairing the faulty immune which is different from the above method, which is used to replace damaged tissues.
Hi SBR,

This is a pretty old thread, I'm not sure how many people will read your comments.

There are several stem cell studies going on here in the US - it is too early to tell what the results will be. I know there are two here in Ohio - one at Cleveland Clinic and the other at OSU that are both autologus stem cell (self-donated, not embryonic) trials.

Unfortunately we lag behind the rest of the world when it comes to stem cell research due to the 8 year moratorium of the last administration.  

be well,
Lulu
I was just reading about that myself on the internet.....the one in chicago....I wanted to be a test subject but cant cause i'm still probable ms and not definate wich kind of sux so im going to just wait till im definate then call them back to be considered they said..   sounds promising from what i was reading and definanlty would give it a shot if they will accept me!
Thanks, Lulu ...

I do agree that the 8 year ban on stem cell research was very irrational.
This really shows the inability of our politicians to evaluate scientific innovations and they are simply guided by the advisers around them. So if the advisers have any kind of bias, one cannot expect a fair decision ... In fact one of the article, the author says that when we look back at this decision some 15-20 years from now, one would really wonder what the issue was really about ...