Multiple Sclerosis Community
Stomach pain and ms

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Stomach pain and ms

Hi All, I posted another question under "I want my life back" but I think my post was wayyyyy too long for people to want to sit and read. Thought I would condense it...

Background 38 yrold female, not diagnosed,have seen 3 neuros including ms specialist. Only positive test is Brain MRI with several nonspecific,nonenhancing white matter lesions. No subjective signs. Just a bunch of neuro symptoms like parasthesias,pain,stiffness,fogginess etc for 2 yrs now.

Currently, I've been experiencing constant stomach upset and really bad cramplike pain about once a week that usually lasts about half hr.This has gone on about 3 months. Have had a bunch of GI tests and all negative.

My question is: Does ms cause stomach problems like this? It doesn't seem to correlate to what I eat etc. I'm beginning to wonder if this is related to my other neuro symptoms. I'm thinking of calling my neuro for an appt but really don't want to unless this might relate.

Thanks for your opinions and time!
Connie
It's unusual to have stomach upset and spasms in the stomach area.  To be honest, it sounds like your gallbladder.  
I had those issues and had my gallbladder out last year which helped. I still have to follow a strict diet. I can't have a lot of normal everyday foods. My husbnad fixed a whole chicken and a friend had Pizza both disagreed with me big time.

Alex
Hi Connie,
I am not dx'd with ms, still in limbo, however, There are times that I get the worst pain that will last for hours and hours in my stomach. It feels like the most intense hunger pains and I can't get rid of the pain with anything, Nothing helps.. I thought gallbladder, but I have no I idea what that feels like. I notice it if I don't eat when I start to feel alittle hungry the pain gets excrutiating and even if I do eat, it still doesn't go away..

Pam
Hi again, thanks for all your comments. Jensquitur and HVAC, I have had an ultrasound 2 times in last month,both negative. It also doesn't seem to correlate with what I eat etc. It's happened when my stomach has been completely empty (am) and at night or middle of night when I've eaten several hrs before. I have had a  bunch of GI tests including gall bladder scan, GI scope,lactose,celiac,ulcer etc. all negative.

I guess this is why I am starting to wonder if this pain is related to my neurological issues. I also completely loss control of my bladder last week too which has never happened to me-not just a dribble but a full urine flow.

I guess I'm wondering whether I should call the neuro I saw last yr? The last thing I want to do is have him make me feel stupid that I think it might be part of my other issues. Been there done that :)

Drsdonthelp, I wonder if you've been checked for H.Pylori? It is a bacteria that can cause ulcers and it sounds like your symptoms could be those of an ulcer? Just a thought. I guess it is a pretty common bacteria people can carry and some end up getting an ulcer from it,some don't.

They did test me for it but was negative. A coworker had symptoms similiar to yours for months and finally went to her md and she did have it.

Thanks for listening, best of luck to you all on your quest for more good days than bad!
I have atrocious reflux which is ALWAYS worse when I have an MS flare.

I also had my gallbladder out and that was a stupid thing to do. Now I have constant diarrhoea.

Hardly any MS sites mention reflux/gastrointesintal issues, but one does.

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/mssymptoms.html

this page specifically

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/gastroesophagealreflux.html

You add the added acid to your gut, then the joy of constantly dripping bile from no gallbladder to the equation, and it doesn't make for a pleasant time.
Oh, I forgot to add, I've not found one neuro that links gastro sx with MS. But mind you, the neuros in Australia seem pretty daft........and not very good at joining the dots.
Hi,thanks for your comments. I'll tkae a look at the sites you mention. Best of luck to you. May your good days be many :)
Connie