Multiple Sclerosis Community
Strabismus-go to Neurologist

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Strabismus-go to Neurologist

I am 57 and developed sudden strabismus of left eye 1 month ago. It turns in. I have no other sx.  My opthalmolgist finds no other problems with my eye, My MRI brain with and without contrast is nl.  I have done the patching and exercises and it seems a little better. ANy reason to go to a neurologist to ck for MS>  I feel well and work daily as a PA.... thanks, Becky
Strabismus is related to a either a muscle issue with the eye, or an issue with the 3rd, 4th or 6th cranial nerve innervating those muscles.  If the MRI is clear, there may be no benefit in seeing n Neurologist  A neuro-ophthalmologist might be worth seeing since they are typically board certified in both ophthalmology and neurology.  

Bob
h
thanks-makes more sense--Becky
Hi Becky,

Welcome to the boards here.  What does the ophthalmologist think the reason for the eye turn is? (Did you see an ophthalmologist or an Optometrist?)

I am glad that your MRI was nml. There are many "health" related items that might bring on a turned eye. (Your left eye turns in?) Is your double vision horizontal only? Is it at distance, near, or both?

Diabetes and other systemic illnesses can sometimes bring on some eye issues as you describe.

What kind of eye exercises are you doing?  I assume you are patching an eye to get rid of the double vision?

Are you seeing any improvement? Do you have a follow-up appt?

I know it seems like I am playing 20 questions here!  This is my "field" of work, so just thought I would jump in and see how you are doing!

Welcome again,
Michelle
   thanks Michelle for your input.  I saw an Opthalmologist and an eye muscle specialist. Do some exercises, patch my left eye and at least 1 hr a day use my left eye. The strabismus is horiz and a little at an angle. Is worse for far vision.  Sugars and other labs and exam nl. I still think is due to the severe COnjunctivitis I had a month before this started. My next appt is on Oct 5 and she will decide on prisms, then.  My Optometrist suggests a neuro-opthalmologist, but I want to see the specialist again first as I think it is  a little better and Can not find that specialist in Georgia.  Becky