Strength of MRI Machine?
I was wondering how you find out the level or strength of the mri machine?  The printout from the radiologist just says it was a high-field MRI unit.  I had thought at first the T1 and T2 meant something about that, but after reading the info post that Quix wrote, I found out that meant something different.  I also checked on the CD's that were given to me after both my mri's and saw nothing on them either.  I guess I should just call and ask.
The strength of the machine is usually part of a longer number identifying the machine on a corner of the MRI picture.  If you couldn't find it, then calling the MRI department where you had it done is the way to go.

I called about an open MRI I had, after learning so much on this forum, and found out that the MRIs of my spine were done on a .3 Tesla machine.  A neurosurgeon had ordered them, so it had nothing to do with MS, but they were still pretty useless.

The radiologist's report was pretty detailed; then, he had compared the new film with ones I had done on a 1.5 machine not long before.  

Anyway, just call and ask; they will be able to tell you in no time at all.

kathy
Hi Shocked,

That's what I did this morning, I just called the hospital and asked for the MRI department and asked them what the strength of their MRI machine was.

I had been under the impression that all my MRIs had been done on a 3T, but just wanted to know for sure, that's why I called and I'm glad I did.

doni
Phil, we have also discussed how sophisticated software can raise the resolution of a machine, say a 1.5T, to surpass the resolution of a 3T with mediocre software.  I have never felt that the public could be in any position to evaluate the level of software used.  So, I have some questions for you.

The first, is do you agree that the quality of the software does play a role?

and

What is the range of cost for really up-to-date software?  (I'm just curious)

When the studies talk about the newer techniques being used to image MS lesions, gray matter lesions and such (3D Inversion, MTR,)  are they talking about software differences or mechanical differences?

Is a 3T = 3T = 3T?  Are they all the same?

We appreciate any insight you can give.

Quix