Multiple Sclerosis Community
Survived the TEE

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Survived the TEE

I had a TEE (transesophageal echocardiogram) yesterday to rule out PFO (Patent foramen ovale) which is a common congential disorder where the hole in your heart does not close up after birth and can sometimes give you neurological symptoms.  

The cardiologist stated I do NOT have it and that my neurological symptoms are of a different caliber or magnitude to even be PFO.

So now that I have appeased my primary doctor's suspicion of PFO (mini TIA attacks), I wonder what other thing I could possibly test for.  I'm all tested out.  I don't think there's too many things left to rule out anymore.

Today I go see my MS Specialist, I wonder what he will have to say with my over a  year of fatigue, weakness, paresthesias, spasticity, ataxia, myoclonus/dystonia, fine motor incoordination, failed vaginal mesh surgery for incontinence, hesitancy and retention, etc, etc.  I think a part of me is afraid he will "dismiss" me again.  I think if he does dismiss me and I walk out of there with no reasons to tell me of why I am suffering the way I am, then I think its time for me to move on to another Neuro.  

I'm tired -- Im tired of the invasive testing and corrective surgery I've gone through.  I'm tired of not being able to live my life as I once used to or perform the most simplest things such as showering, doing the dishes, walking in malls, exhaustion from driving my car or even returning to work.

Lisa
Hi Lisa boy have you been thru the ringer what a invasive test you have had for no reason. I hope you get some answers today but if not dont give up find another neuro I know what you are going thru I have been in limbo land for 6 yrs now and I am trying to regroup myself and continue the fight but its exhausting to say the least I am out of work and couldnt imagine going back . please let us know what you find out today and I will keep mmy fingers crossed and a prayer for you

Kat
Best of wishes.  I hope there's answers as to why you are not feeling well.  For me, it came seven months after I saw my neuro first.  The first month, prior to my MRI, he told me that it could be anything and I received a whole bunch of tests--including an echocardiograhm, LP, blood work (14 vials worth), and a CAT scan of my lungs to name a few.  It was a very, very difficult time period, so I can really relate to this.  

Prior to seeing this neurologist, I've been to at least three rheumatologists and have had a lot of different diagnosises (or lack of ones, too).  I've also been to another neurologist who didn't run any tests and told me that I couldn't possibly have MS.  So, at this point in time, I was at my wit's end having been through all of those tests thinking I was going to be blown off or diagnosed with something I knew it wasn't.

I know how difficult this is!  What time do you go in?  I'm praying right now that you'll have some answers . . .

Deb  
Lisa,

So glad you survived that horrible test!! I can say that because I had to have it done also. I gagged so bad on that drink or whatever it was. I felt so dumb that I couldn't get it down without gagging. The drs/nurses were like, "are you ok??" but I almost lost it a couple of times, LOL

No hole in my heart either. My 1st neuro was the one that sent me to a heart dr. to have this test done, he originally dx'd me with TIA, but my heart dr. said, MS,,,, go figure! LOL

Good luck my sweets!!!
Pam

Thanks for the time and kind words of compassion in response to my post.  I appreciate everything you say.

@ Pam:  The TEE wasn't bad although they could not sedate me enough due to my low b/p (I was running 80's over 48's) so I had to be awake and yes I gagged a lot.  It's over though and I think I will trust not to do anymore invasive tests that I know in my heart that is going to come out negative.  All Im doing is allaying the PCP's suspicions and making the people who are doing the test richer and in the end, I suffer from it.

Thank you again everyone!

Lisa