Multiple Sclerosis Community
T-spine lesions in MS

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

T-spine lesions in MS

Was using google to search t-spine stuff. One post I found led me to this forum, and the person answering was Quix. (It was from 10/07)

She said this: MS lesions are the least common in the t-spine.

Then how come as part of the diagnostic process, we are told to get a t-spine???

I know that doesn't mean it's a zero occurrence.

Thank you,
Suzanne
HI Suzanne,
   I think a T-spine is needed as a complete MS workup.  I believe there are people on the forum who have lesions in the thoracic area.

Did the center give you a cd of  your MRI??  Pleas let us know as soon as you hear about the results.

Good Luck Suzanne,
  Elaine
As I have said in the past, my lesion in is the upper thoracic spine.  I was told by the Neuro that this is an extremely common place to find a MS lesion.  I really don't remember Quix saying that it wasn't.  

Heather
Hi Heather! I found the post and bumped it back up. The part I am referring to was posted by Quix, it's near the top of the thread. Of course "least common" doesn't mean non-existent!

Elaine, yes, I did get a CD and was noodling around with it for hours yesterday. They marked something at T6, but the quality is considered poor by those in the know, lol. I myself can't understand it, but in zooming in, there does appear to be a couple of blackish areas where I would GUESS (and I emphasize that!) it should be white area? If that is the spinal cord? Frankly, I suppose I will have to wait until I get the real word on this. The dr's office is closed on Tuesdays, so it won't be today. And I still haven't gotten that report from Yale! The one they'd send out "that day".

Suzanne  

What I saw on your spinal MRI films, was a bright area in the T-6 area.  The cord looks a little greyish naturally and any brightening of areas in the spine (C and T) should be looked at carefully as a possible area of lesions.  Lesions in the spinal cord do NOT show up at round circles, as you often see in the brain.  They are not round but can be jagged in appearance or a slight finger like whitening of that particular area.

So that's what I saw in YOUR films that you shared on your profile.  An area of increased signal at T-6 and just above and below that.  If I am right, since I am not qualified to read MRI's, of course; this is what I saw in your films.  As a layperson I believe it showed clearly a change in signal intensity in that area.  Too bad that radiologist did not use contrast dye.  Idiot..

Heather
I know I am computer illiterate, but I can't find your pictures.  where do I go??

If there is a lesion, the radiologist is a major idiot, and should not have overstepped his boundaries and not do what the order said to do. Are you sure the "supervisor" who said not contrast was actually a radiologist or was it a radiology tech who was acting as a supervisor??  Sometimes at free standing center, the radiologist is not present during the day.

Elaine
Which picture are you referring to (what caption)? I am going to pull them down soon.

Again, my gratitude and thanks! :-)

Suzanne
I am trying to posts comments under your photo's but I keep getting an "http" error.  MedHelp is not taking the comments. A burp in their system.  Anyway, the one you posted yesterday of the BIGGER x of T-6 is where I noticed the slight color signal in the spinal cord.  It was a brighter area and so is the one that you circled with an oval.  Do you see the whiter area.  It also looks like to me, that your spine in not straight down from your cervical spine which suggests to a layperson with a granddaughter that has this....is scolosis.  A curvature of the spine.  I could be wrong, but this is what is seen in the smaller photo of your spine.  Do you see where you spine seems to be off center from your head?

Suzanne, please understand here, that I am NOT a professional in the slightest.  I may be totally off base with my comments. I am doing my best to be able to give you a layperson's advice only based on the amount of MRI's of the spine that I have seen.  As you can see for yourself and doesn't take an expert, is that your techician that did your test MARKED the area with an X, showing that they are interested in that specific area.

If you DO have a spinal lesion it would be suggestive of MS of course with lesions probably appearing in the brain at some future time.  I am not giving you any false hopes that you will finally have a diagnosis of something.  I want so much for you to have answers.

I feel your anxiety and restlessness over all that you are going through.  I want you to know that I am here for you, just as is everyone on this Forum.  We all rejoice when someone in Limbo Land FINALLY has an answer.  It's a victory, no matter how awful the news of MS may seem...if that is the case.

I am with you honey, in prayer and spirit.  Keep me posted about what your final MRI report says.  I am extremely interested.  Really I am.

Big hugs and love,
Heather
You make me glad I am here! :D This is what support is all about! And no matter what the diagnosis, MS or NOT, hard and challenging and trying as it may be to support the tissue companies, lol, I do try to take one day at a time. I can't change the past, I don't know the future, I can only live for today. May God's Will be done. And so if that day holds restlessness, I used it to put screens in, lol.

Scoliosis isn't a new word here; my daughters each have a curvature of their spine, but if I recall correctly, the percentage was minor enough to not require intervention. I think if it was >11%, but Daughter #1 was 5%? I don't recall, it's in the discard bin of my past.

About that oval!!!! I thought perhaps that was one of my internal organs? No? It's huge, whatever it is, now THAT jumped off the page at me!

I don't think the "white spot" you saw, where you put an oval around it, is an organ.  It's a bright spot for sure.  This is why I am anxious to see your final MRI report.  I like you, wnat to know what it is that I am seeing.

Heather
I'm an eager sort, called people the first millisecond I had labor pains, lol.

Once I find out what's what, I'll be right here to post.

Suzanne