Multiple Sclerosis Community
TB vaccine for MS?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

TB vaccine for MS?

I ran across this interesting paragraph in the Wikipedia article on the BCG (tuberculosis vaccine):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_Calmette-Gu%C3%A9rin

Multiple sclerosis (MS): In humans, BCG has been shown to substantially reduce recurrence of symptoms in multiple sclerosis patients.[27] The frequency of new enhancing lesions as detected by Gd-enhanced MRI was reduced by more than half in 12 patients, comparing the six-month run-in phase to the six-month post BCG phase of the experiment. Persistence at subsequent MR scan was reduced from 18 to 1 lesion, and evolution to black holes was reduced from 28 to 6 lesions.[28] The conventional explanation of such protection is that parasites (including bacteria) modulate the sensitivity of the immune system. BCG appears safe as a treatment for multiple sclerosis[27][29] although it is not commonly used.

How strange. Never heard of that before.

Nancy T. (no diagnosis)
Interesting...... I have never heard about this before
Thanks Nancy

Mand
Hey, Nanc! I've not heard of this either, I'm looking fwd to reading and looking more into it.

-Shell
That's a new one on me.  I'm not surprised if it isn't used commonly in the US.  We rarely use the BCG vaccine here, period.

Interestingly enough, I was given this vaccine when I was 18 years old and I still ended up here.  I'm happy my symptoms have progressed very slowly since the first debilitating flare in 1990.  I doubt that vaccine can take any credit in my case though unless it delayed those initial symptoms a full 20 years.

Just an FYI.  This was not a fun vaccine.  It's one of those leave-a-scar behind-to-show-it-worked types.  I doubt it's any better now and I doubt it ever protected me from the things I was told it would.

I hope the infectious disease expert spots this and leaves an opinion.

Mary
Hi Mary. Sounds like they were saying it could help as a treatment, though didn't say anything about prevention. Who knows... I didn't investigate further.

My kids were both given the BCG at birth (outside the US) and my daughter had a bump that kept draining and scabbing, draining and scabbing. Caused trouble back in the US, because you subsequently always test positive for TB and that causes trouble in school (yearly x-rays required, or months of isoniazid antibiotic therapy, your choice!).
Yup, sounds familiar.  My original spot festered until it burst it's nastiness (I think) about 2 months later.  It's been 42 years and I would still have to get a chest x-ray if everyone else is having a skin test.  I forgot once and took the test.  That lump took several years to disappear but at least it wasn't huge or discolored.  Copaxone every day seems easy by comparison.  LOL

Mary