Multiple Sclerosis Community
Taking Amantadine, quick update

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Taking Amantadine, quick update

Well, I have taking amantadine for two weeks now.  When I first started taking the drug I think I was going through a flair up and was extremely tired all the time.  Immedialtly up taking amantadine I started having enegy to work and was able to concentrate again.

Ove the past two weeks this has continued and I am getting close to being up to date at work.  I am making fewer mistakes, though my typing is still problematic.  The q & w buttons still keep moving down to where my fingers try to type a and s.'

I think I am in remission, though I wonder at times.  I will continue to take the amantadine anyway.

The nice thing is that I sleep deeply enough to know that I am dreaming.  I have not been that way in years.
I just wanted to say that I am so glad the Amantadine has helped so much. I can relate to horrendous fatigue, and how life sucking it can be (and I'm just a stay at home mom, I can't imagine how hard it must be to work through!).

Christine
(un-dx)
Well one keeps getting folks asking them if they are okay; keeps making career threatening mistakes; keeps beeing to tired to care if deadlines are met.
Question apart from your Amantadine thread:

You said you were sleeping deeply enough to know you were dreaming.

When I wake up earlier than I have to, then doze off, wake up, doze off, wake up.......that is when I remember my dreams. And they are doozies!

My husband will ask me how I slept and I might reply, "Fine, except for the Hour of a Thousand Dreams."

This might also happen if I doze on the couch and just can't pull myself to get up after my usual Power Naps. I used to be able to refresh from those in under 20 minutes. For a while there I was taking 2 and 3 naps per day, and they were not refreshing, nor were they 20 minutes, they were turning into hour-long Thousand Dreams sessions.

Suzanne  
Hi McB

Just jummping in here real quick.  Im glad to hear that
drug is working so well that is good news.

You asked me to update you on the provigil and I started
yesterday. I only used 1/2 the dose, 100mg and it really
made a huge difference for the good. I was active for a
much longer period of the day that normal, and didnt feel
like i  had to lay in bed a 6 or 7 pm in the evening.
I did sleep better than usual last night.

It was only the first day and getting ready to take one
today, so I will update you in a few more days.

Gollie
Dreams have not been a problem.  Before I had MS my dreams were not problematic and were either mundane or delightful.

I am not remembering my dreams for the most part since being on amantadine.  I just remember in the morning that I had been dreaming.

I do remember 1 of my recent dreams though.  I dreamed I had head lice.  I was the only one who had the problem.  Except I was definittly worried about one of my boys having the problem the head lice as well, even though we could find an evidence of the lice.  I think the dream was about having MS.  A day or so the dream, my wife suggested to me she was concerned about my oldest boy because he has arm twitches from time to time.  These twiches never bothered either of us until I started having limb spasms due to MS.
Head lice is a good metaphor for MS.  I only wish MS were as easy to diagnose as lice! Or as easy to treat.

Our brains are amazingly clever at being literal during dreams, often with a twist. So now I will think of myself as having brain lice.

ess
UGH........what's the sign now, TMI, too much information?

We did go through a spell in this household with head lice. If they said quarantine the stuffed toys for 2 weeks, I did it for 3. If they said wash them once, I did it twice. It was absolutely ridiculous. The OTC meds do not work, they are rich because of a faith that they will work. We got an Rx for the shampoo, now that worked.

His dream, my nightmare.

Suzanne
hi,me and my hubby have been raising our 2 g'kids going 3 years and another tmi i guess but for the last month we have been fighting it w/grandaughterwe wash every thing spray everything and still has them when we check again ...finally got her hair cut and hope that helps....anyway we keep getting otc meds ...maybe try to go to doc and get rx if it persists ...i never thought of that...thanks a lot...take care ...deb
Thanks for the updates on amantadine and provigil.  I plan to discuss with my neuro at my next visit.  The fatigue is overwhelming at times, and I am hopeful that I can get some help for this.

db1