Multiple Sclerosis Community
Tanning???

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Tanning???

How detrimental is it going to the tanners really? Because, I really really need a tan! lol
I wish I had better news for you.

The damage to the skin is close to that of the direct sun.  There is an increase in skin cancer in people who use tanning salons, the skin undergoes the same premature aging process that makes you look like a cowhand by your 40's.  Salon tanning is not a safe alternative.

As a physician, I recommend a spray-on tanner or better, learn to see the normal skin color as beautiful.

BTW - the compulsion to tan is a known addiction in some people, who can't stop the practice without serious psychological trauma.  I read some studies on that that were very interesting.

Quix
try this instead. it won't turn you into (because it was said so well) a cowhand.

http://www.tiphero.com/tips_1584_diy-tan-recipe.html

Hmmm interesting. Never heard of that. Sounds doable and cheap! Have you tried it? (the tea method)
Couldn't tanning also cause a pseudoflare?
The tanning creams are nice too!!!!!!!!!! You can look good and not have to worry! (the FDA finally did state cancer causing - as if it wasn't already known)

Cowhand, ha'ah,ha...good one doc Q

Risnerrose is right! Can def. cause pseudoexacerbation. They rot - not worth the bother!

-Shell

How detrimental is salon tanning? Very!

From the Skin Cancer Foundation

Are you a UV tanner? From a landmark study confirming that exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light (radiation from the sun or tanning machines) is the most common cause of melanoma to the proposed tax on the use of indoor tanning beds, there are a host of reasons to give up tanning. We hope you’ll keep them in mind in the new year.

For the whole article: http://www.skincancer.org/five-great-reasons-to-give-up-uv-tanning-in-2010.html

If memory serves me well, I seem to recall that there is a call for putting warnings on tanning beds, much like the warnings on cigarette packages.

i've tried it and i love it. i don't really tan, which is good.. i grew up in florida and would look like a raisin if i'd been capable of turning a nice golden brown. and i turn orange from self tanners. this gives me a cooler (as opposed to a warm, rich) brown.

never tried the cocoa powder/lotion combo, though. i'm convinced the bugs would come a runnin..

good luck! : )
On Dr. Oz one day they were asking where the most germs were that were unexpected...you got it...TANNING BEDS!!!  They did a sample of a public tanning bed and they even found fecal matter on the bed!  That alone is enough to keep me away!

Rena
The fact you are asking the question shows you are open to feedback - otherwise you would have just gone and tanned away!  So here's my two cents.  I am a survivor of skin cancer found on my face at age 21.  I am very fair, so spent my summers as a teen trying to get some hint of color on my skin.  Now I have a scar on my face and the whitest legs you have ever seen!  I have to were sunscreen every day of the year and see a dematologist every year for a skin check.  Last year they removed another suspicious spot but thankfully it was not cancer.  This is not something you want to be dealing with just for the sake of a tan.  Believe me.  Anna  
I've gotta say, given my recent Dx, of vitamin D deficiency, that I'm wishing I spent more time in the sun. I used to use beds when I was in my early 20s, and loved them. I certainly never thought about health issues back then either. I've found some interesting tidbits here and there of the health benefits of the sun. Needles to say, I'm starting to wonder if all this sun screen info is accurate. I don't know, my head is swirling around with info now. It's gonna take some more time and lots more reading to get everything figured out.

John
I wondered if I wouldn't have MS right now had I been outside more often. I'm on 50,000ui vit D weekly. Have been now for 4 months. And all last Summer and the Summer before that I was stuck indoors. Last Summer it was because I had vertigo so bad I couldn't do anything. So this Summer now that I feel better I really want to enjoy my life. Do out door activities, enjoy the warmth, the sun, friends, family...
I think the key to sun exposure (and most other things)  is "moderation".  We need some sun for Vitamin D -- but not a lot.  

Being inside all day, every day is too little sun exposure.

Laying out in the sun for the purpose of getting a tan or going to a tanning salon is too much.  

My whole life I've simply been one who burns then turns back to white.  Once I reached my 20's, I just didn't care anymore that I wouldn't be tan.  I'm 38 now and look a lot younger than others who laid out to tan every summer or went to the tanning salons.  Plus, I figure I've got enough health problems and don't need to add skin cancer to that!   =)

Jean

Thanks everyone for commenting. I will try the tea method as soon as I go buy some.
I am a bit late, but I tanned in beds for almost 30 yrs and I stopped because I could not do it any more, I didnt know why at the time, but I kept trying for awhile and finally it wasn't worth it.

I was totally addicted to it, i did it all year long ....

but it has also left my skin with sun spots and more wrinkles than I should have...its UGLY !!

meg
Let us know how it works..i am thinking about it too..I HATE white skin..

meg