Multiple Sclerosis Community
Tattoos

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Tattoos

OK, guys, here's another weird question, lol!!

Have any of you gotten tattoos since you've been diagnosed?  I asked the MRI girl about it a couple of days ago, and she said it no longer matters as far as MRI's go.  Most of the issues with tattoos heating up in the tube were with older ones that had more metal in the ink.  I'm going to ask my neuro about it next week - I'm kind of afraid he's going to say "No Way!", lol .... especially with the Tysabri.  God forbid I got some kind of infection from it.  It's just one of those things on my personal "Bucket List" ... :)

I know it sounds crazy at my age, (I'm almost 47!), but I really want to get a tattoo right now.  I have ALWAYS wanted one for some reason, but never really got around to it, and never really found one that was special enough for me, you know?  The one I want to get now is my own design, and would be something very meaninful to me ... something I can touch and see to remind me how far I've come and how blessed I truly am ...:)

Thanks for any input,
Rita
You must be clairvoyant.  This has been on my mind for a long time.  I really want to get a tattoo as well but, like you, I was concerned about the MRI machine.  WOOHOO!!!!  One more thing I can put back on my bucket list.  

Thanks for posting the question,
Sharlene

P.S.  If it's crazy at YOUR age, what is it at MY age (56)?  :-)  
I know I can't help you much on the Tysabri part of the question, but I do have tattoos. I have 2 of them. One on each ankle. I designed my last tattoo. I've always had to say I had tattoos, when filling out the paperwork, prior to getting a MRI, but as far as any problems, I haven't had any in the MRI.

Just make sure you research your tattoo parlors before you go. They can take your design and shrink it (or whatever) and they put it on transfer paper. If they do shrink the design, make sure you have them refer to the original, because sometimes it does lose a little detail when they shrink it.

To me it's not crazy. I think they are beautiful. I would imagine that you should not get it where you give your Tysabri shot sites.

I hope tattoos aren't a big no-no! I'm itching to get another one. But, I know that is a couple years away. Technically, I have 8 tattoos, but 6 of those I consider just one tattoo, so I say I have 3. The 6 tattoo one is exact copies of my 6 kids newborn footprint (one foot for each of them) with their name above. It starts at my ankle with my oldest and wraps like a spiral around my lower leg ending about 3/4 of the way up my lower leg. I want to get this poem put in:
Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were here an hour I would die for you
This is the miracle of life.~ Maureen Hawkins

I hope you do get your tattoo soon! Just beware...they are addicting!
~Jess
I have two and have never been questioned about it going into an MRI - I have had three already in the past three years and have never been asked. I am planning on another one in the middle of my shoulders of a butterfly and I will be having them draw it specifically for me, I don't like the ones that are in mass production - so much more meaning when they are drawn for a specific reason.

If you ever watch Mythbusters (not sure where you are, it's on discovery in the states) they actually tried tatooing a pig from the butcher - it has skin most like human skin - then they put it in an MRI to de-bunk the myth of an MRI pulling out the ink. Nothing happened to the ink and everything was just fine as far as that is concerned. Not sure about your medication though, you might want to make sure!
I got a tattoo after being diagnosed. Nothing happened.
I probably should have added that I can 1-2 MRI's every year .
I've got two (sternum and shoulder) and I never had any MRI-problems, I've always mentioned them, but they didn't heat up or anything. Of course, the closer they are to your head the more likely they may distort the magnetic field (happened in my case I think with diffusion tensor imaging, but t2 flair and t1s seem to be clear as they can. Colour of my tats is dark blue.
Sorry can't give you real advice, but thought different experiences may help!
I totally understand how you want a tattoo- with my second one i woke up one morning and knew exactly what i had to have and where ;)
all the best,

Rike
From what I understand, you need to avoid the permanent eyeliner tattoos - I guess that would make sense.  Just check with your neuro, to be sure but it sounds from the experiences here that it shouldn't be a problem.   Let us know when its done, ok?  - Lu
The tattoos that are a problem are often ones done in prison where they use inks with a metallic component that can react with the magnet of the MRI and be painful.  Legitimate ones do not carry this problem.  

Quix
does anyone know if the bodily stress of getting a tattoo causes relapses?
Simple injuries do not cause relapses.  There is some data that MAJOR life stresses will cause a relapse to bloom, but not the aggravations of daily life.  I would say a resounding "no" to the question of tatoos.

Q
My daughter and I got a huge matching back piece last summer that we have been drawing up for 4 yrs. I didn't have any relapse..in fact I wanted this more than anything because of my life changing situation.

I don't want MS to cause me to not live my life.
Get your tattoo!

Kristi
Thanks you all for your comments!  I thought everyone would think I was a weirdo for wanting to get one at this point in my life, lol!!  I've always been fascinated by them - wanted to get one ever since I was in the Air Force 100 years ago, but it just never worked out.

I definitely don't want the permanent eyeliner Lulu, but thank you for that warning.  I'm not squeamish about much, but needles around my eyes give me the willies, lol.  And Quix, I've never done any time in the Big House, so I don't have any prison tatts, either, lol.  My biggest question is that it will be somehow contraindicated with the Tysabri, or just that my neuro will nix the idea because of all the weird stuff that winds up happening to me and nobody else!

Have any of you ever seen the show "LA Ink" on TLC?  My dream would be to go there and have Kat or Corey do mine.  She did one of two overlapping leaves (representing a couple) that was stunning.  But I'm quite sure I couldn't afford the trip out to LA or whatever the actual tattoo would cost!  I do know if I get one locally, I have to do ALOT of research, so thank you guys for reminding me of that also... :)  If it turns out I am able to pull this off, I may ask for any recommendations of places in my area .... :)

I think I would probably get it on my left flank area (stil not for sure about the placement though), but I want it someplace where it only shows if I choose it to, but I can touch it at any time and know it's there, you know?  It's basically a tattoo of the picture I am in the process of drawing .... a bouquet of 3 calla lilies (my favorite flower), with a few leaves thrown in maybe.  

The center calla would be biggest and be white, to represent faith, then the one on the left would be yellow to represent grace, and the one on the left would be pink-red, to represent strength.  The bouquet would be tied with a soft, pale orange ribbon to represent the MS.  I might even have it say "Faith" in an arch over the top, and then "Grace" and "Strength" arching across the bottom - not sure about that part.  

It would be so meaningful to me because the MS has increased my faith SO much, and that faith in God is what gives me the grace and strength to get thru each day.  And I could touch it as a reminder of that whenever I wanted or needed to, you know?  We'll see what the neuro says and then go from there... :)

Thanks for your input, guys, and the tattoos you guys have sound very cool, too!  Oh, and I mentioned it to my Mom, who I was sure was gonna have a heart attack, cause she has ALWAYS been anti-tattoo .... and she thought it was a cool idea and if it would mean that much to me, I should do it.  Go figure, lol!!  

Bye for now,
Rita
Anyone who is interested in joining me in a campaign to get Rita's tatt done on LA Ink - they are currently casting for their next shows and you can write to them at an address that  I know will be censored because we can't do email addresses here, but you can find it at

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/la-ink/casting.html

I have already sent my email off to them suggesting that Rita and MS would make a compelling story.  Perhaps if all of you join in this it could happen.  

As I have always said, it never hurts to ask, the worst they can do is say no.

be well,
L
Hi Lulu

I would definitly joint the campagn for Rita to get her tattoo done on LA Ink, the only thing is when I send the e-mail who do I tell them to contact?

Rita - go for it! I got my first tattoo done at the age of 51, I say my first because I'm sure I will get at least one more.

Mand
the email address is available through the web page link I posted -

it is the lainkcasting  email address at the bottom of the paragraph.

- Lu
OMG!!  You guys.....

I just got up this morning, all sad because my son will be leaving to go back to school in a couple of hours, and it's 4 hours away... and then I see THIS!  Lulu, I can't believe you even THOUGHT of this .... OMG is what I keep coming back to!  That you (and anyone else here) would even think enough of me to do that is just so humbling, and I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes... it is so sweet and so touching.  We'll see what my neuro says about the idea, but at least I'd know at LA Ink everything is super sterile, lol!  

I can't even imagine having the privelege of having my tattoo done there by Kat or Corey - he did one of some cherry blossoms on a girl that had almost a watercolor feel that was stunning also.  Well, if nothing else, we may find out a little more about how the whole process with the show works, huh?  :)  

Again, THANK YOU so much for even thinking of this idea - it never crossed my mind, to be honest.  It was just one of those things I always knew was out of reach completely.  As far as my personal contact info, Lulu has all of that if anyone needs it ....

Gotta go ... my son just woke up, and I'm all gooey and emotional right now.... :)  I'll talk to you guys later ....

I am so priveleged to be part of this family,
Rita

Bumping it up ;)))

Love,

Debs xxx
Anyone who get a tatoo done after dx and its on tysabri? Hab have any problems with it?
the only problems with the tattoos would be ones done by an amateur with ink that has metals in it.  Tysabri and tattoos do mix. My infusion buddy has full sleeves and a lot more  and has been on tysabri about 3 years.

Thank u!