Tecfidera vs. Tysabri?
I've been on Tysabri since July 2012. It hasn't been the easiest course due to many infections. My dose was changed from 4 wks to 6 wks, and then the strength was decreased from 300 mg to 200 mg to try to prevent infections. I just found out last week that I have sero-converted since July from JC neg to JC pos. Soooo...my neuro mentioned this new drug and I'm a little nervous because it's so new, but the Tysabri has not worked out well for me. Not sure what to do.
Tecfidera is not all that new. It was used for Psorasis patients and they worked the bugs out and made it safer to use for MS patients.

Alex
I am in the same boat. My neuro wants me to try Tecfidera also. It is just recently approved for MS and there isn't much information about it. They gave me what they have and said there will be more information once it has been on the market for 6 months or longer.

I hope more information comes out within the next couple of months. I have to be off Avonex for 2 months before I can start it.

Good luck
Paula
Paula, I left a response in the thread where you asked about Tecfidera.  The usual drug info is published and readily available but there can't be post marketing info until people have used it long enough to develop reportable events.  Not many people would have had the opportunity to take more than a few doses at this point.  It is apparently just now getting to dispensing agents.

I doubt many problems are anticipated beyond what the trials showed.  It seems to me these particular trials involved a larger than usual number of participants.  I'm just not sure I'm remembering that correctly.

Many people like to wait a bit rather than rush into using a new drug.  I'm usually in that camp myself.  Yet in this particular case I believe jumping on the bandwagon early carries a lower risk than usual.  Waiting may still be the most prudent course but if I was running short of options (like a couple of you seem to be) I doubt I’d hesitate long before giving Tecfidera an early green flag

So there’s one more opinion to add to your juggling challenge ;-)
I too had my blood test JCV+ last month. My CSF was still negative. This means that I'm still OK Tysabri wise speaking. My neuro likes to reevaluate Tysabri use at 24 months. I had infusion # 18 last week.

He thinks I would be an excellent candidate for Tecfidera. He said that if DMD'd were ranked from 1-100, in terms of 'power' Tysabri would be 100 and Tecfidera would be 75/80. As my MS seems to be pretty well under control. I may have needed Tysabri to get it under control. but Tecfidera should be able to keep it under control.

Kyle
I just switched from Tysabri to Tecfidera and I couldn't be happier :)  Tysabri just wasn't helping the way I expected so I decided to switch....I take Tecfidera and Ampyra and the combination of the two has really helped my walking and balance.