Multiple Sclerosis Community
Temporary Paralysis/Spasms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Temporary Paralysis/Spasms?

Hi Everyone,

I just recently had an awful experience happened to me 3-4months ago. I had a crazy busy week, I was walking down the street and all of a sudden I couldn't move my left hand it seemed to be paralyzed, It stayed like that for about 2 minutes, a friend of mine touched my fingers to see if I had sensation and I did. As the paralysis subsided I felt strong tingling feeling in my hand and fingers. It almost felt like the tingling was in a wave motion pattern. It happened again last night but not as severe, I woke up an couldn't move my right hand it looked dead but that only lasted 15 seconds. I have done research on other MS sites, and it seemed like what I had people described as a spasm. Has anyone experienced this before, can any professional tell me what this is? I have medicaid went to the clinic to speak to one of the residents, they rushed me out of there so quickly couldn't tell them about my symptom, my next apt is 3 months from now.

Newly dx 10months, copaxone 8 months, 29 yr old, female, 5'6, 140lbs.

Thanks!

Ihavewhat?
I have had episodes of transient paralysis / weakness on my right side; in fact, this symptom is what led to my first MRI.  Before I was diagnosed, I thought I was having strokes or seizures . . . and even stopped driving for a summer - after I "froze" walking down a sidewalk
(couldn't lift my foot or even tell where my foot ended and the sidewalk began).  

Occasionally I experience one episode that lasts a few minutes, but I have also experienced multiple episodes over several days.   Your description of a "wave" pattern is right on target.  It feels very much like "waves of nausea" beginning in my fingertips.  My last episodes were accompanied by true nausea . . . fortunately, I have not had one in over a year.

I haven't seen this described on the forum often - if at all - so I thought I was an oddball.  I did encounter a name for this several months ago . . . but the name has long since left me (tis the story of my life :)  Seems like it is was a symptom also found in Parkinson's, but in a much more extreme fashion.  

I'll search and get back with you.

Sherry
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.  I'm sorry to hear that you are dx'd with MS and have not been given much information on it by your Dr. What you describe can happen in MS. Maybe it has to do with parathesias or spasticity.  The Dr. would know best, but since it will be a long 3 months to find out for sure, I'd like to point you to our health pages for more info.  

You will find quite the opposite here with us in terms of support and info.  Many are dx'd, some have differential dx's and some are still seeking answers. Glad to see you are being treated with a DMD

Thank you very much for joining us and hope to see you around,
-shell

p.s. "Sherry" just saw we posted simultaneously! NICE to see you!!!!!!!!!!!
My neuros also have not shed much light on this symptom . . . even though it is my most troubling symptom.  The brief duration of the episodes actually had a role in delaying my diagnosis.  
Thanks for posting this! My Mom has had MS for 15 yrs (progressive) and she told me on the phone tonight that she was getting temporary paralysis on one side of her body, very frightening as she lives alone. Keep us posted anyone if you find anything else helpful!