The Flu
I have seen many posts here about MS, the Flu & getting a flu shot.  I officially have the flu...started feeling crummy 2 days ago & woke up this morning completely congested & a sore, swollen throat that makes it hard to swallow.  fun...

I don't typically get the flu - and so don't get a flu shot.  I couldn't avoid the flu this year, it seems everyone we know and work with has had it..

What happens with the flu & MS?  Is it the fever that brings on an increase in symptoms?  

Curious what can happen.

Thanks!
Chrisy
undx
Hi. It isn't the flu per se, it's any infection, bacterial or viral. The body reacts to this by sending its immune system into high gear. That's good, to fight the infection. That's bad, for an MSer, because whatever stimulates our immune systems for the good, also stimulates it into attacking the central nervous system. Or at least it 'can.'

It's always a good idea to get a flu shot. We need to avoid anything avoidable. Of course we shoud take other precautions as well, frequent hand-washing and use of hand sanitizer when we can't wash.

ess
I believe it's the fever that brings on a pseudo-relapse.  I was debilitated last time I had the flu, because all my symptoms came back, including severe fatigue.  However, a week and a half after I recovered, I had a real relapse - so it's double trouble!

Any sort of raising of body temperature can cause Uhthoff's reaction.  The theory is that nerves don't conduct as well when they're hot.
It's true that raising the body's temp can be a bad thing. For some, that brings on a pseudo flare, which recedes fairly quickly. For a small percentage, the symptoms can even be permanent. But I believe the worst danger from flu, etc., is the true exacerbation that can result from stimulation of the immune system.

ess
Thanks for explaining this Essy, especially because of what I've had going on.

Chrisy, I'm sorry you are smack in the middle of the flu bug.  I hope it leaves as quick as it came.

I had some sort of nightmare myself with a bad throat, then flu and bronchitis.  Like you, I never get the flu, so I don't get the shot, but I will from here on out.

Please visit the Dr.  Don't wait like I did.  Things just escalated for me for the worse.

Feel better soon.
I had a feeling that what you all described would be true.  Thank you for clarifying it for me.

Ess - my sinus congestion is worse today, but my throat is slightly better.  I am hoping that being home from work the last two days and having the weekend to rest will help me get over this.  

I will definitely go to the doctor if things aren't better in the next few days.  Thank you for your wishes.  Hope you are feeling better too.

Chrisy