Multiple Sclerosis Community
Thenar Atrophy?
About This Community:

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Thenar Atrophy?

I saw my neuro today and got what I thought was a great report.  My MRI hasn't changed much since September and my clinical exam was negative.  In passing, she mentioned that my right thenar prominence was atrophied compared to my left.  She asked me if I have ever had carpal tunnel - I haven't.  THen she just remarked that it was weird.  I went home and of course googled thenar atrophy.  To my horror, I found many a page that listed thenar atrophy as one of the first signs of ALS.  Now I'm freaking out.  Does anyone know anything about this?  I don't feel like I have muscle wasting anywhere else, nor do I notice any hand weakness.  

Thanks!

Katie
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
987762_tn?1331031553
I wouldn't freak out, if you google it heaps comes up and lots are related to MS too. If you dont have any hand weakness then its not really a problem, i'd be looking at it as being more of an observational opinion and not a sign of anything else.

Cheers..JJ
Blank
Thanks JJ!  You are right.  I feel much better because my first MS symptom was optic neuritis.  I looked up ON as a presenting symptom of ALS, and everything I read said that ON does not occur with ALS.  I guess there is always the possibility that I have both .... but I just don't think that would be fair. LOL!

Katie
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Multiple Sclerosis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank