Multiple Sclerosis Community
Think Positive

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Think Positive

I hear a lot about the horrible symptoms and I was just curious to see if anyone is feeling good and healthy with MS.  I wonder because I was diagnosed 5 years ago and I have been feeling really good, at one point my nuero thought I was going in remission.  I think what helps me is that I forget half the time that I have the illness.  Right now my neuro thinks I am having my first flare up (nothing too extreme) since diagnosis 5 years ago and I am just taking it one day at time and not worrying about it.  I start my injectable steriods on Tuesday for 3 days and that will be that (eventhough I dread steriods I think they are the worst).  But I can't complain because I was off meds for all of 2006 and I had no symptoms.  So please keep your head up and stay positive and keep your mind off MS.  I think the more you think about it the worse your symptoms become.  
Congrats that's great news. I'm gonna be starting therapy soon. I was diagnosed in May this yr. I am having quite a bit of probs. So it's nice to hear ther's hope for us in getting better. If it happened to you, it could happen to us. Atleast we can hope so. I an trying to stay possitive, but I have an Aunt that calls alot since being diagnosed, she wants to hear EVERYTHING. I tell her I'm ok. I try to change the subject and she changes it back.

I told her in last 2 talks, that I have MS, but I don't want to focus or think about it all the time. I don't want them to feel sorry for me, because I have it. But that seems to be the only reson she calls now. It really makes me mad. Like she doesn't respect me, she feels sorry for me. I don't want that. I wish for once she would just call me and not focus on MS, but on ME as a person instead. It's getting to point of beating a dead horse to much. I have MS, but I'm NOT MS. I wish she would see that.   Karina
I must say I went through the exact same thing when I was first diagnosed EVERYONE (except my family) felt like they had to play the pity on me role.  When they saw me active and not focusing on my illness some would say I am in denial.  I must say that my family has been great they refuse to dwell or even discuss my illness.  They know I am strong and they want me to remain that way.   You cannot look at me and tell that I have MS, I have to tell you.  Also when I tell people they are always so shocked because there is nothing different in my appearance actiivities that would make you say oh she has MS.  I try to stay active and eat well and it seems to work for me so it can for you too.  I know your Aunt cares but sometimes people don't realize when to drop the subject.  Once she sees that your spirits are high then she will realize that there is no need for pity.    
Its great to hear someone with MS who is doing really well.  I hope you are taking the disease modifying therapy injections.  Are You?  As you know, the disease works in silence all the time so stay on top of it even in good times.

Me, I have MS and I had my last flareup 6 months ago.  Unfortunately after it remitted I had some leftover symptoms that constantly remind me its here, but I must say that so far it hasn't been horrible or depressing, I truely feel and pray for those who have it much worse than I, someday it will be my turn.

Anyway I just wanted to say keep taking your DMT drugs to prolong your good health.

Jon
Yes I do take rebif twice a week (not three times) because my scans were coming back looking great and I was not having any symptoms so my neuro reduced it to twice a week for the last 4 years.  I take yearly MRI to see if there are any changes and so far so good.  Like you said I pray for those who have it worse but always remember that day doesn't have to come for you just stay positive because my neurologist has told me of cases where people went into permanent remission.  The cases are a small number but it happens.  I just know that I will embrass whatever comes my way but I believe stress plays a HUGE role in MS so the less I let this illness bother me the better I will be.  
I usually feel fairly healthy with my MS except during attacks or flair ups. I have had 2 attacks since March.After getting through them I do fairly well.

I am no longer capable of working,but keep busy around the house and have learned that I have limitations.

The key to this disease is listening to your body,embrace the good days and sleep through the bad.

Each attack has left residual effects and currently doing physical therapy and joined a fitness center.

Keeping a positive outlook and not letting this disease control your life is half the battle.

I'm also on Rebif.not my favorite.New rebif should be available soon,less reaction sites and rebif should be available in pill form 2009,not that far away.