Multiple Sclerosis Community
Thoracic spine Lesions.....Symptoms?

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Thoracic spine Lesions.....Symptoms?

I have a question. I have had a brain and c-spine MRI.  I Hqve not had q thoracic spine MRI.  What symptoms present if there are lesions on the thoracic spine and why didn't the doc order that MRI.

Thanks.

Kerri
Hi, Kerri. To be really thorough, the neuro should have ordered a thoracic MRI too. However, many don't, because T-spine lesions are much less common than the others.

As to what symptoms they could cause, I think the answer is anything at that level or lower. At the same time, problems in the brain can cause pretty much anything in MS.

I know your brain MRI was significantly abnormal, even if it didn't comply with your neuro's narrow idea of MS lesions. This happens all the time when neuros don't have the courage of their convictions.
,
Your best plan, in my opinion, is to seek another doctor, and at that point ask for a thoracic MRI, just to cover all the bases. I'll bet though, that if he or she is worth his or her salt I(!), your brain MRI alone would be enough.

ess

Thanks ess,
I am in Florida right now.  My body is in an uproar.  Every symptom is blaring.  I think it's the heat. I had a bladder accident the other day when we got here and now my kidneys are hurting.

Must be something.  I mqy go to the urgent care and get tested.  The last thing I need is a kidney infection.

I agree with you comment about the ms doc.  I called this morning about my LP results and get this, they are trying to locate them.  WTF!

I know if I keep the rfaith then this too shall pass.

Thanks for y ever present words of wisdom and comfort

I wish we could Hqve an ms forum round up somewhere.  Wouldn't tht be awesome?
My neuro attributes my MS hug to a lesion on my t-spine, even though it's never appeared on any of the thoracic MRIs I've had.

I have a (rare?) neuro who understands that just because a lesion doesn't show on MRI doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there.
If it wasn't for spine mri both cervical and thoracic I probably wouldn't have my diagnosis. There was very little on the brain to support MS.

I have bad elasticity in the legs and it has been known to go as high as my breast bone and my arms and hands.

Just my two cents, push for extra mri when you get back home, could make all the difference.

Good luck.
Has anyone had the "MS HUG" but it turned out to be something else?
Where can I find your neuro? I would travel.  I have this thing folks describes as the MS hug.  It interferes a lot with my life.  I have a tough time maintaining my posture while standing or sitting. I have lots of pain around T7,8,9. Simple things like folding clothes, driving long distance (on a bad day the distance could be blocks away from home), having to sit up and hold the posture is near impossible.  I am described as having lots of spasms and they talk about this really tight muscles between my ribs.  You really want to trigger my symptoms, bring me in the cold.  It cuts my breathe and my rib cage feels so tight and pain goes to a 20/10.  The neuros I saw say I seem to be a lot like MS but I don't have the lesions in the MRI and then back to zero.
I have similar pain under and on my lowest right. Unable to get any relief. Meds make me feel worse. I do know that I have plaques (MS lesions) in my thoracic spine - also many in my brain. Please help.
I am wondering if my MS hug is something else - did you investigate your MS hug??? What did you learn? How are you coping/managing with the pain?