Multiple Sclerosis Community
Throat lock... esophageal spasm.

Our Patient-to-Patient MS Forum is where you can communicate with other people who share your interest in Multiple Sclerosis. This forum is not monitored by medical professionals.

Throat lock... esophageal spasm.

Phew...  was eating lunch today, and while swallowing my delicious salad, my throat locked up.  It was like I was trying to swallow a golf ball.  This happened a couple of times, and then the throat lock turned into the chest cramp/MS hug/whatever the heck it is.

Since I've seen the most recent MRI pics, I don't think this is brainstem related.  I think it's more likely that the esophagus is having some problem.

For those of you with problems swallowing, what was the professional opinion?
Jen, is it during swallowing or just after?

I've had problems, not at all lately :-) with my esophagus spasming horribly, with terrible pain until it gets its act together and coordinates the muscle movements. But swallowing itself is a breeze.

ess
It was right as I was swallowing - I was afraid I was going to inhale the lettuce, because it was stuck!  Fortunately I managed to get the throat to swallow, and then of course my esophagus started cramping.
I get this once in awhile...it's scary, it can happen even when I'm not eating.  It's like my throat won't work... I don't get the pain all the time, but once in awhile it will hurt down the front of my chest and last for a few minutes.

write it down and let the Neuro know about this... OK..
take care
wobbly
That is terrible.  I was wondering, do you have any throat numbness as well?

terri
No, not of the throat.  I'm pretty sure my neck is clear of lesions - I don't get L'Hermitte's, and apart from the swallowing problem, no symptoms from the cervical cord.  

I'm beginning to suspect it was the beginnings of a cramp in my esophagus, that was triggered by the swallowing action.  I've been having esophageal spasms/chest cramps all day since then.  

Heh... I thought about taking a Baclofen this morning, and opted to wait until tomorrow.  Now I'm regretting it!  I'm on my second Flexaril of the day, and I'm only supposed to take three a day.
I also get this once in a while, well mine is just that I can't swallow. I have had that going on for a few years now but never really attributed it to what is going on with me now.

This is very interesting and am looking forward to what others have to say about it.

Paula
Last year I was due for a colonoscopy, and because of the esophagus problems, I had an endoscopy at the same time, along with some other throat tests.

The gastroenterologist insists it was just GERD, but I really think that was wrong. The bottom of my esophagus may not always work properly (have, or had, a stricture), so it's understandable that food may not pass into my stomach the way nature intended on some occasions. She wants me to have another endoscopy again with esophageal stretching (forget the medical term) but I'm conveniently ignoring that. I'm doctored out for the present.

However, the horrible pain was not at the bottom. It felt as if I'd swallowed a huge, jagged rock which was stuck at Adam's apple level. The dr. said not everything can be attributed to MS, and I totally concur, yet I know spasms when I feel 'em.

ess
Yup, same here - huge jagged rock.  Since it looks like I have a lesion at that level in my spine, I'm guessing it's MS... but I won't know for sure until I get the radiologist report.
My cervical MRIs remain mysteriously clear, even at 3T. The last one a month ago had a tiny spot that may have been an artifact, according to the experts.

Yet I've had quite a few symptoms that sound so 'spinal'---from bladder problems to hug to right-sided weakness, and several more. The Hopkins people are sure it's MS, nonetheless, so that leaves me wondering if my head full of abnormalities can somehow cause all this.

ess
Have you ever had a thoracic MRI?